CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Deadlift soreness?

Hi all, I was just wondering where I should feel sore and where I should NOT feel sore after deadlifts.

I love deadlifts, but I think that I must be doing them wrong somehow since I get some strange soreness in the sides of my lower back (just about where love handles would be). Is this normal?

I'm wondering if I need to back off of the heavy DLs for awhile, and am wondering what assistance exercises I could do to build up for going heavy again.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Deadlift soreness?

Feeling soreness in the core is normal

Feeling pain in the core, especially the lumbar spine area, is not normal
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Video, digital coaching section. BE CAREFUL!! Some people deadlift best with a rounded upper back and high hips, meaning that my legs are not bent very much. I do this to keep my hips close to the bar. Others have quite different styles. Backing off and reevaluating your form is a good idea.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks, when I can get my hands on a camera I'll shoot it and post it. Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
David Slate

Profile:

There are different forms of deadlift, so for the purpose of this thread I'm assuming we are referring to the classic deadlift. I usually experience soreness in my glutes and hamstrings after a round of heavy DL, and occasionally in the erector spinae which runs down the back. As was previously stated, soreness is normal, PAIN is not.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Adam Carlson

Profile:

ok, I decided to revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

I did some DLs yesterday, and they felt alright overall but as the day went on, things got stiffer and stiffer. I'm feeling sore in the center of my lower back, at the top of my glutes/hips. It feels like muscle soreness, but it's hard to tell. When I sit or lay down for awhile and then stand up, it takes me a few seconds to be able to stand up straight wihout feeling some strangeness in that area. Is that normal? Does anyone else ever get that? I'm not feeling the soreness in the hamstrings... should I back down on the weight and build things up from there? I wasn't going extremely heavy or anything...

after I do some contract relax stretches for my glutes and hammies, some of the tension is relieved. Also, after I warm up, I can move and exercise fairly well, which makes me think that this is a muscle issue and not a joint issue.

another thing that makes me a little concerned: I've never had much flexibility when doing the seal stretch (upward facing dog-type thing). Right now I just can't do it at all, the pain in my back won't let me extend all the way. What might be wrong?

as always, thanks for your time!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds like you have some lumbar extension and SI joint issues.

You need to be extra careful about lifting. I would not do any workouts for time.

Also, you need to work on your mobility and posture most likely.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. any good links off hand that you could give me to help correct this?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Hi all, I was just wondering where I should feel sore and where I should NOT feel sore after deadlifts.

I love deadlifts, but I think that I must be doing them wrong somehow since I get some strange soreness in the sides of my lower back (just about where love handles would be). Is this normal?

I'm wondering if I need to back off of the heavy DLs for awhile, and am wondering what assistance exercises I could do to build up for going heavy again.
I really have to push it to get soreness from deadlifts, but when i do, it's usually hammies, glutes, and traps. On high-rep deadlifts (Linda, Diane, 20-rep sets in CFSB) I sometimes get soreness in the spinal erectors of the lower back. It's hard to describe how I can tell that it's muscle soreness rather than back pain/injury... the best way i can say it is that the soreness in the lower back feels exactly the same as my legs feel after too many lunges or my chest and tri's feel after too many dips, rather than feeling like I pulled something. It also fades in the same pattern... a little sore the next day, then it goes away.

But, what you describe doesn't set off any warning bells in my mind, so long as it's not a sharp pain. Dull and achey is probably fine, and you've just exposed a weakness.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I went to the doctor today and got some x-rays done. Nothing is out of line. The doc said that the pain is being caused by aggravated ligaments or muscles, and they gave me some medicine for it. Glad to hear that nothing is out of line, and I think I'll take it easy for a few days.

Steven, how long do you take off from working out when you get injured? What are some things that I could be doing in the meantime? Kelly Starret talks about doing CF even when you are injured, and was wondering what you think about that.

Oh well, back to flexibility, I guess.