CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #31
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Front Squats

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-...per-technique/

You're both right to a certain extent. Based on what I've read on CF, Stronglifts, SS and Super Squats here are the key take aways for the original poster.

1)Hip flexibility is CRUCIAL in performing a good front squat. I totally agree that ALL squats are initiated with the hips, NOT the knees. Mehdi goes so far as to say it's the 2nd biggest mistake you must avoid when squatting(low, high, overhead, front)

http://stronglifts.com/how-not-to-sq...ou-must-avoid/

Only with the front squat, you can't sit back nearly as far as the back squat if you want to keep good form. In the case, the other poster was right. You need it to maintain an upright torso while leading back with the hips. Do the squat stretch, wall squats, leg swings, keep your upper back tight and really focus on keeping the chest up/hips back.

2)The more you practice that, the better you're posture you'll get.

But like I said earlier, you're squatting to full depth and keeping the knees out. You've got the basics down. Work on these things and you'll be set.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 03-22-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #32
Steven Webster

Profile:

It is important to understand the difference between what is actually happening and how you as a person are programmed to lift weights. When I front squat my cue is hips down, but this cannot actually happen without my knees travelling forward. Similarly the knees cannot move forward without the hips moving down.

Another problem is interpretation, I believe this can be an issue for some coaches. If I said: push with the hips, the lifter may then develop the habit of sitting back. So it's important to get the cues right and to get clarification without jumping straight to conclusions.

One good thing is that newbies are using light weights, so any potentially bad outcomes don't apply. If you happen to be front squatting heavy, you should learn pretty fast what not to do, although when I watch people front squatting heavy some of the time I know exactly what's going on if a lift looks a little different. Sometimes it does boil down to early programming. In some cases you have to had made the same mistakes to understand what's going on.

Last edited by Steven Webster : 03-23-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #33
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
Not how I interpret that at all... but I'm not going to get into it. This is why I'm not going to post on the digital coaching forum any longer.
Don't do that, Bob. We can't wait around for Glenn Pendlay to answer all our oly lift questions. You were spot on and provided helpful coaching cues rather than analysis (an important distinction, as Steven pointed out).

Amber, the thing that stands out to me is that you're pulling yourself down ATA beyond the range of flexibility where you can maintain strong extension of the spine. Your lumbar softens, the thoracic spine in turns rounds and takes away the big chest you want for this lift, and as a result on the way up, your hips are tracking behind where they were on the descent and you get that bent forward feeling. At the bottom of the squat, you want to fight for that lumbar arch and actively pull your glutes under you to maintain that upright position, so when you extend you can activate the glutes and use them to drive through the heels straight up. You want those glutes to be prime movers. Sure the quads and hamstrings will get in on the fun, but by focusing on keeping your assunderyou, you'll both maximize contribution from the posterior chain and keep the upright position you need to stablize the bar against falling forward.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #34
Steven Webster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
Amber, the thing that stands out to me is that you're pulling yourself down ATA beyond the range of flexibility where you can maintain strong extension of the spine. Your lumbar softens, the thoracic spine in turns rounds and takes away the big chest you want for this lift
I noticed this too; the reason for it is the acute angle formed as the legs are folded so closely to the torso. If Amber keeps upright the angle will be reduced... along with some hip mobility drills and proper footwear, there should be absolutely no problem.

WFS: Hip Mobility Drills>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7aBAEqqqw