CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Robert Austin

Profile:
ACL Reconstruction

Hi all,
So I was reading through the posts trying to find some info on different types of ACL graft choices and I couldn't find too much info on Quadricep tendon bone grafts.

The reason I was searching for this is that my Doc says that he does primarily two types of grafts either an allograft or the quad tendon autograft. So I was trying to get as much info on the two as possible. So does anybody have an first hand experience with the quad tendon graft.

I go in for my first surgery on the 25th of this month to repair my medial meniscus, then later after I heal back in for ACL reconstruction so he wanted me to think about the two graft types and make a decision.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction

I would NOT recommend patellar tendon. If you want to do Oly or something that can potentially be tough on your knees in the future you need all of the tendon strength in your knees you can get.

Allograft or hamstring...

I am not a qualified medical professional however so take that with a grain of salt. That's from what I've seen at least.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Marsha Arias

Profile:

Have you checked the ACL recovery blog..may be helpful. I had a hamstring graft done.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Paul Wiseman

Profile:

robert,
i have had both the patella bone tendon graft and a hamstring graft following the faiure of the patella graft. the hamstring has been by far the easiest to get over in the early stages. i am only 3 weeks post hamstring and i was able to walk unaided by day 7 although very slowly. my range of movement is miles better. although my initial failure was becasue of a misplaced graft. i recomend you have a detailed conversation with your surgeon. this is not an op you want to take on lightly.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Lyndsey Ward

Profile:
Red face Re: ACL Reconstruction

I tore my ACL snow skiing and have had reconstructive surgery approx. 1 1/2 weeks ago. I did lots of research prior to my surgery and looked at many of these discussion boards. They really seemed to help me in making the decision of what type of surgery to have, so I figured I should add my experience. I ended up having the allograph and have done GREAT with it. My surgeon and PT highly recommended it as the recovery is quick and it doesn't make your knee or hamstring weaker. I'm a nurse, so I asked lots of questions about the different graphs and it seemed to be the best option for me. So far, my recovery hasn't been bad at all. I was on crutches for 1 week and was able to walk with full weight bearing the day after I got off crutches. Like I said above, I had surgery a little over a week ago and my knee can bend at 120 degrees and is about 5 degrees away from being completely straight. Every day I gain about 5 more degrees with the bending. I started ROM the day after surgery and constantly used ice, anti-inflammatorys and Lortabs (all seemed to help greatly). I'm expecting to return to work next week (I'm normally on my feet for about 12 hrs a day)! Hope this helps anyone out there questioning the allograph.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Robert Austin

Profile:

Thanks everyone for all the replies and comments!
Did any of your surgeons mention that an autograft is stronger than a allograft? What are your thoughts on that, anyone? And I've seen alot of info on hamstring grafts but What I am really looking for as if anybody has any info on Quadriceps tendon bone Grafts. This is where they take a portion out of the middle of the Quad tendon and a piece of the kneecap bone.
So does anybody have any info on that? I have been searching the web and haven't really found too many people talking about it. I found several journal articles but not a lot of first had stories with it.

Again thanks for all the info everyone.