CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Tom Seryak

Profile:
seen on the road

the driving version of "seen at the globo" thread:

the weather in central ohio has been just nasty the past week or two. last week it was about 20 below with windchill and we had one day with quite a bit of snow. so, i'm driving home and pull off my exit ramp. at the end of the ramp there is a right turn green arrow on and there is a barrier to protect you from the oncoming traffic coming in from the left. now, mind you that the roads were extremely slippery as the plows were not yet out on the streets. LADY in front of me is approaching the right turn (did i mention the green arrow that means go?), literally slams on her brakes mid-turn, then I slam on my brakes and slide into the barrier. car behind me passes me on the turn, beeps, and gives me the finger!!:stir:
Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: seen on the road

Why were you so close to her in that kind of weather that you would need to slam on your brakes? At least that is the impression I get.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Frank Dennis

Profile:

George has a point, in bad weather you probably should've been a bit farther back.

That said, there's never a reason to brake in the middle of cornering, short of something suddenly appearing in your path. Especially in bad weather. She should have slowed down to her target speed before she needed to turn her wheels. Even on dry pavement on a track, brake hard before the corner, and get on the throttle as you pass through.

In snow, you'd skip that bit about the throttle.

Anyway, I can see how you'd be caught off guard by someone doing something as monumentally stupid as laying on the brakes while their wheels are turned while driving in snow. You always need to be prepared for other drivers to be monumentally stupid, though... they often are.

Last edited by Frank Dennis : 01-27-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: grammar fail
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
George has a point, in bad weather you probably should've been a bit farther back in such weather.

That said, there's never a reason to brake in the middle of cornering, short of something suddenly appearing in your path. Especially in bad weather. She should have slowed down to her target speed before she needed to turn her wheels. Even on dry pavement on a track, brake hard before the corner, and get on the throttle as you pass through.

In snow, you'd skip that bit about the throttle.

Anyway, I can see how you'd be caught off guard by someone doing something as monumentally stupid as laying on the brakes while their wheels are turned while driving in snow. You always need to be prepared for other drivers to be monumentally stupid, though... they often are.
this is how bostonians are taught to drive. my driver's ed instructor literally told us to assume that everybody around you is going to do something stupid/cut you off and to be ready for it.

we might be the craziest drivers, but most natives are also some of the best.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

So yesterday after picking the kids up from school my 16yo glances to the right and catches a quick glance of a driver next to us and turns away. She looks back over to see him take a swig out a huge beer can! We ask her if she's sure it's a beer. She says, "Well I've never seen soda come in those huge cans, colored blue with a "B" on the label!" Being the good wife of a CHP officer (hubby was driving) I call dispatch and we proceed to follow the guy into an apartment complex parking lot. The guy parks for about a minute then pulls out again - just enough time for 2 PD units to pull up in front of him - lights on. LOL. He tried to say he just got in the car to leave. Right!

Unfortunately he was only a .07 (legal is .08 in Cali) so he wasn't arrested - but he was sited for having an open container, suspended license and expired reg. We've got some winnners in this town!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Renee brings back fond memories of learning to drive in New England. I remember being taught that using your directional signals was considered "giving information to the enemy!"
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

No, Bingo the way it works in RI is you put your blinker on and hug the lane line. The guy you're trying to cut off gets scared and backs off and over you go. Course, it doesn't work in RI any more, but these southerners fall for it every time.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Frank Dennis

Profile:

See, I like the way it works in southern California: know how long your car is, and if you're traveling faster than the guy in the lane you wish to enter, you just flick on your blinker and shoot over as soon as you have 2" of clearance from his front bumper. He's going as fast as he's going, so you know you'll make it.

Of course, drive like that here in the midwest and you scare the out of people...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Benjammin Gartner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
So yesterday after picking the kids up from school my 16yo glances to the right and catches a quick glance of a driver next to us and turns away. She looks back over to see him take a swig out a huge beer can! We ask her if she's sure it's a beer. She says, "Well I've never seen soda come in those huge cans, colored blue with a "B" on the label!" Being the good wife of a CHP officer (hubby was driving) I call dispatch and we proceed to follow the guy into an apartment complex parking lot. The guy parks for about a minute then pulls out again - just enough time for 2 PD units to pull up in front of him - lights on. LOL. He tried to say he just got in the car to leave. Right!

Unfortunately he was only a .07 (legal is .08 in Cali) so he wasn't arrested - but he was sited for having an open container, suspended license and expired reg. We've got some winnners in this town!
Similar story.

We had just loaded up on food and beer heading toward "Counrty Stampede". It's a giant 5-day concert full of drunkeness.

Anyway-we are stopped at a light and in the truck next to us there is a shaggy looking dude taking swigs out of a small vodka flask style bottle, he then chases it with a sip of coke. Does this about 3 times while stopped at the light. Light turns green, and he drives off like nothing.....guess he couldnt wait to park and get out of his truck to drink. Some people