CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Tom Miller

Profile:
Military PT!

To all those brothers and sisters in the service...who else out there wishes they were given free reign to get into shape themselves and show what kind of results that can bring on the PFT every 6 months. I know for one that with the Marine Corps changing up PT all the time...combat conditioning, mcwl, now the new CFT, I feel that if I was given a free leash to do my own programming, without worrying about unit PT every morning affecting my recovery and interfering with the schedule I lay out for myself, I would be in much better shape than the program the unit lays out, which by-nature is a maintanence style PT.. Any thoughts?

-Tom
Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Military PT!

I'm retired now, but, when I was the CFL (Navy) for my command, I fought for all the folks who weren't going to PT to have to, and harder for me to be able to program my own stuff. CF or not, the motivation goes up when you're doing what you want in terms of exercise, and I believe that translates into better results
Old 12-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

Tom, I'm sure every CrossFitter in the military agrees with you. But when I was in the Corps, about 2 people out of every infantry squad would actually take it upon themselves to pt outside of unit pt. If the Corps left people to their own devices, we'd see about 20% of the Marines PFTs go through the roof, while the other 80% would plummet.
I think the solution is to allow everyone in the 275 club or higher do their own thing, since they obviously have the dedication that others are lacking.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Peyton Knippel

Profile:

I'm in a fortunate situation. Having a unique job, we are required to show up and do the maintanence style PT with the regular folks in the support section every Monday Wed Friday, but after that 30 minute whatever is over with, we break off and run our own individual programs for the next 50-70 minutes. As a CF'er this gives me ample time to execute a WOD (or two) and it also provides the individual with enough rope to help or hang themselves. On Tuesday and Thursday, we break off from work at 3pm to run our own individual program as well.

Tom, I agree, it would be great! for a person to be allowed to run their own program, but unfortunately, I believe that a system like that would generate more failure than success. I'd like to avoid speaking in absolutes or generalities but over the past 8.5 years it's been my experience through observation that the vast majority of service members commitment to fitness extends no further than the maintenance style PT they're required to do by the unit they're in. Every single time I head to the gym I see maybe 1 or 2 people actually working out, the rest are just lollygagging around the gym, toeing a weight here, doing a curl or two there and accomplishing next to nothing. Now if you were to implement a program where the individual was allowed to do their own thing, with no supervision, I fear you would see an even greater decrease in the overall fitness of the "Fighting Force"

The only way I could see a program like that succeeding is if DoD, Branches, Commands, Units, whatever implementing controls on it, i.e. an individual is trusted to lead their own program only if they score in the top 90-100 percentile of a given test. It would have to be measured against the test only and not against peer groups or units, etc. The stipulation would be no downward deviation from the previous score, regardless. So, even if you got the max on that test, the next performance would have to emulate or exceed. This would eliminate babysitting and ensure integrity if the individual wants to keep on being treated like a big boy/girl. This would also give folks (hopefully) motivation to improve, in order to be afforded that same privilege.

But that's if I were king.

Not to get off topic…… Another thing that drives me up the wall is seeing folks come into the gym discarding a cigarette, immediately lighting up after working out, coming into the gym with the scent of crisco and cigarette all over them and their PT uniform. The last thing I want to smell while I'm actually doing something to increase an already high level of fitness is some smelly greasy *** that is just going through the motions. I need to practice more tolerance
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Stefan Still

Profile:

Do my own PT? And miss out on the the lovely smell of running in bar on Friday morning after everyone's Thursday night happy hour excursions?! No thank you sir.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

Wow, Stefan, I had almost forgotten about that added bonus! I miss that smell almost as much as two-hour old farts that hang around berthing areas on ship...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Luckily our PT program is loose. We're required to work out 3 days a week (self paced) and we get time off of work for that. Once a month we have squadron PT and do some kind of group workout.

So it fits me well. I get to workout at 7am and report into work at 9am. Pleanty of time for a workout and a shower, even if I'm doing SS and not CF.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:

Same here.. get to do my own thing, and just show up once a week for our unit PT.

I also manage my office and program so i schedule meetings around my workout sessions...i know, im spoiled, but i am a heck of alot healthier than i was 5 months ago before i started
Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Just join the Navy, they won't make you PT ever!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

There's some guys in blue T-shirts on the Strand who'd like to talk to you about that Michael