CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:
Faster Push-Up Secret?

Hey,

After practicing the basic rings support position, I again continued some pushups, and noticed that these pushups were really fast. Is there a cause and effect relationship here between doing rings support and faster pushups. Or do i need to gather more data before i jump to conclusions here?

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Faster Push-Up Secret?

The more stable your core the more you can focus on pushing harder? That would be my hypothesis at least, it would take more work to see if that is actually true.

-Robert
Old 11-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:

I am going to try to repeat the results.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do pushups as quick as i can, for 20sec. Then I'm gonna rest way too long. Then I'm gonna do a rings support for hopefully 15 sec, and try to do the pushups again fast.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

could it be that you got a good warmup from the ring supports? You will always perform better after revving up your muscles and your neural system.
Your method of testing this might not give you the results you want since the first set might act as warmup for the second set. Try seperating the sets by a day to isolate the effect of the ring support.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:

well, today i did 20sec of rings support. then 20 pushups in 20sec. then 20 sec of rings support then 18 pushups in 20sec. then 20sec of rings support, then 17 pushups in 20sec.

tomorrow im gonna try just pushups as many as i can subbing pure rest for the rings support.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Im no expert, but I would think that the ring pushups could be causing you to work more of your smaller stabilization muscles so that when you then change to traditional pushups this increased motor recruitment is making them easier/faster.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:

max pushups for 20 sec then rest the 20 pushups again...

22, 14, 6

Whereas 20 sec pushups 20sec of rings then pushups again gave me around 20 every set.

In conclusion, i think the support position in rings between pushups primes one for better pushups.

Experimental error a couple of seconds of extra rest between getting down from rings and into pushups.

Interesting note: my pure pushups sets show a numerical pattern very similar to a famous CF workout 21-15-9.

I guess what's left now is to repeat the experiment again.

Thanks everyone for suggesting mechanisms at work in this experiment. Fun stuff.