CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
My roommate is going to training to run an 8 mile race. He wanted to know any training techniques for this distance of race. What is the best mix of weight training and running for optimal race preperation? The race is in two months. He has been running 12-18 miles a week. He has done hill intervals one day a week. The other days he just runs. Running is the only training he currently does, no strength training.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Peter Keller

Profile:
Since you've gotten no other bites yet, I'll throw this out there.

Your roommate should look at his goals for the race and beyond. If he only cares about a fast race time for this 8 miler, I would be careful about adding in strength training, especially since he doesn't do any currently.

However, if this 8 miler is a blip on his journey to better fitness, then by all means add in some strength training, perhaps starting with scaled WODs.

Also, in my opinion, it looks like he could clearly benefit from some additional speedwork.

As for a program, check out some running websites like runnersworld.com . You can also try the forums at:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/forum.php?board=1

Old 09-27-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I am not personally a distance runner (in fact not a huge fan of running in general). I do about 3-4 adventure races a year that cover usually anywhere from 5-8 miles of trail running. I don't have a regular running schedule, I do the WODs here, mountain bike 1-2x a week, and maybe throw in a trail run. I find doing strenght work with DLs and squats has tremendously increased my power and speed running. Plus all the high intensity training has giving me more and more endurance. If there was a race coming up I would probably add in one or two weeks with a longer run to get the muscles ready for it...but other than that I go out and usually do pretty well. You will see most information on here showing that doing higher intensity intervals leads to great Vo2max for endurance athletes. I would have your friend do at least 2 strenght workouts a week, 3 or so high intensity workouts like a Crossfit or sprint intervals (400s..800s) and just one longer run. That's just me.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Motion Macivor

Profile:
How much longer till your friends race? The training he should be doing is very time dependant. If you let me know how long he has I can make a few suggestions.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
2 months until his race.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
What about trying to do workout of the days 3 days out of the week, 2 days of sprints, 1 day of mid-long distance, and 1 rest day. Do that on a 3 on 1 off schedule. He's leary incorporating before his race because he doesn't know how it will affect him, but deffinetly wants to incorporate some sort of weights afterwards in his schedule.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Sorry Ryan I should have responded a bit sooner. As a general rule GPP should be done well before an event and as the event draws closer training should become more specific. I think doing the wod will only help, but once you get to within 4-5 weeks of the event you should be focusing on running and cut back on the WOD. I think that 2-3 sprint workouts a week and 2-3 longer easy runs is a lot for an untrained person I wouldnt do much more than that. It's always better to do too litle and feel fresh than to do to much and get fried. So try not to do much more than 4 to five workouts a week. Once you get to within ten days back off on the training and alow him to recuperate from the stress he has gone through. If I were you I would go to a running site to find a good program (I've never really liked running much).