CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
Tereza Ohley

Profile:
Most Embarassing Crossfit Moments

...I'll start...knowing me I should expect a few more, but this is my first CF gaffe!

This morning I decided to wear some decrepit old boxer shorts--the woven kind with no give--to the gym. (I should admit that they were originally purchased for the 200+ lb Mrs. Smalls, but he's never worn them because they're just that crappy)

So I'm happily doing today's WOD (squat thrusts), when all of the sudden a loud RIP reverberates throughout the gym. My shorts had split down the back seam, revealing my prodigious derrière. To make matters worse, I was wearing those juvenile type of panties that say something dumb across the back, specifically "Invite Only." Being the good little CF'er that I am, I continued my workout, a** exposed, and simply resolved to continue cleaning up my diet--and buy some better workout clothes.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Most Embarassing Crossfit Moments

My most embarassing involves chipped teeth I think.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Sean Kufel

Profile:

I had just gotten over a serious mental barrier and kicked up into my first wall handstand, on a set of paralettes, back in December. Naturally, I was feeling a little cocky after a couple of good holds. I went to kick up again, and was a little bit off-balance. The left paralette snapped at the elbow joint, and I tumbled sideways to the mat, still holding the broken plastic.

And that's the story of how I did my first wall handstand and then broke my gym's paralette during the first two days that they were open.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Marc Tower

Profile:

First push-press workout and I was still working on form. During the last set I popped the bar into my chin, which pushing my teeth into my lip. Good bit of blood.

Adam, being a good CF trainer said "You OK?"
Me "yeah"
Adam "You have 3 more (reps)"

I've only been doing CF for about 4 months, so I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the future!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:

I think its pretty much Heavy Deadlifts + a case of diarrhea... Hope that paints the picture enough without too much of the gory details.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Algera View Post
I think its pretty much Heavy Deadlifts + a case of diarrhea... Hope that paints the picture enough without too much of the gory details.
Consider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
The best way to avoid this is to not deadlift when you need to ****, and vice versa. Planning is the key here.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

I got two off-hand and perhaps more to come as I've only been doing this for a year. The only thing that saves me from really being embarrassed is I workout when few people are around at the school gym that I use.

1) I also wore the wrong shorts last week for the Row/Thruster/Pull-up. Subbing SDHPs, I went down into the sumo-squat for about 20th of 100 times on the first round and my long shorts without much give suddenly burst with a loud "bam" like the snap of a sail. The shorts split from the middle of the bottom to high up my right cheek. There was no one around and I was wearing boxer briefs so I didn't think much of it and finished the WOD. Then I went to ride my bike the 2 miles to home and looked odd with my shorts flapping in the breeze.

2) The gym doesn't have paralettes and I keep mine at home, but I wanted to try doing deeper HSPUs or at least negatives to work on my strength at the bottom. So I find this "jump box machine" which really is just a metal 3/4 square frame with spring legs, rods for adding weights, and handles. The handles sit about 18 inches off the ground so I thought that'd be great to use. I set up and try to kick up into a handstand with my hands gripping the handles but it is a little high and my legs are too tired. Thinking I need some momentum, I step back and try again. My left hand slipped off the small handle area and I fell at a really awkward angle onto my back on the machine. Luckily I didn't do more than scare myself since I automatically tucked and half-rolled off the contraption. I'm just glad no one was watching when I did that.

There was also an incident when my home-made pull-up bar failed on me mid-kip and I landed on my back, but that was less embarrassing and more painful.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Gayle Malinowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Tower View Post
First push-press workout and I was still working on form. During the last set I popped the bar into my chin, which pushing my teeth into my lip. Good bit of blood.
I did the same thing doing split jerks...bit the tip tongue. OUCH!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I've jammed the bar into my lower lip into my braces doing thrusters before. Not enough blood to complain about, but it didn't feel good.
I'm just waiting for that shorts-ripping sound someday. I'm sure it'll come.
Large scabs on the tailbone from doing too many unpadded situps...no, that's not embarrassing at the gym. Just painful, and not so fun in the bedroom, either.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Consider...
And this Rip quote which makes me laugh all too often in very inappropriate situations.

"I strongly advise against intentionally farting whilst moving heavy weights. Sometimes -- especially under those circumstances -- farts have a solid center."