CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Stephen Macioci

Profile:
Deconditioned Clients

Ok here’s a scenario:
A new prospect client comes in to your facility.. Cant squat at all has shoulder issues and knee problems...what do you do?
Do you take them on? Put them in a class? Train one on one?
It has really been on my mind lately.. I know how to train deconditioned clients but I was wondering how to trouble shoot that situation in the cross fit model...

Thanks i want all different opinions
Stephen
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Rob Egan

Profile:
Re: Deconditioned Clients

Stephen,

I would treat the client just like any other that would have any of those issues separately.

First find out their medical history and figure out if their inabilities are due to. Lack of flexibility, past injuries, etc.

Then work on the problem issues one at a time and rotate through them (either through a single session or multiple)

Finally, make sure they are getting an intense workout and to switch it up. You can have them do pushups (or knee pushups from an Abmat), ring rows, and situps for time. A workout doesn't always have to be a 5 minute Fran for it to be Crossfit. Just as long as they're getting (or working towards) functional fitness and working at a relative high intensity.

If there is too much to cover, and they need special attention then have them go to private lessons. I think it would be a fair argument that you would like to spend more time with them due to current limitations/past injuries.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Steve Reggio

Profile:

You have to work within their limitations to start, but they will get better each passing week. I have had clients that could not squat deep so I start them squatting to a bench not a Dynamax. By the end of a couple weeks they are hitting the Dynamax for half their reps. You just keep them progressing.

Shoulder issues, really watch form and keep the weight light. The 15 lb training bars and 33 lb (15 kg) womens bars are great for scaling. Throw a weak person under the 45 lb bar and they can't lift it, keep them on PVC and they'll never progress.

Just keep them making steady progress and everyone is happy.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Rob Egan

Profile:

Quote:
Just keep them making steady progress and everyone is happy.
Very well put. That's what I was trying to get at.