CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Ken Hostetler

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit

I am new to Crossfit yet I have done extensive research on the site. I work in a career fire department and my background includes playing college football. I have to say that Crossfit is unlike anything I have ever seen.

Several of us at work have been doing the workouts over the past several weeks. This is some amazing stuff!! Some workouts are WOD's, some are benchmarks, and some we just put together.

My question is for anyone familiar with how other fire departments are using Crossfit. We work the traditional 24 on 48 off rotation. Any insight as to how to effectively and consistently implent Crossfit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
Re: Great respect for Crossfit Athletes

welcome, Doug! What an interesting story--I hope you'll start a blog or workout log so we can check on you.

I agree with the comment about focusing on the WODs instead of getting going with SS.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Richard
Quote:
What an exciting phase, welcome to CrossFit ! Starting with Eva is one hell of a start I have to say. I can't wait for you to meet the other "girls".
All I could say is forget about your previous routine, and just follow the WOD on the main page for 1 month and see how you like the results after that period.
Seriously, it is life changing.
Enjoy the ride !
Thanks for the encouragement and welcome. It was hard.

@ Neil

Quote:
Many people here do the WOD along with other forms of athletics. This includes wrestling, MMA, climbing, biking, Olympic weightlifting, and even body building. Work through the WOD "as RX'ed" (as Prescribed). On some days it will take everything out of you on others you will want to do more. Use your judgment and read up on the forum to see what others are doing. Strength does not seem to be an issue for you as much as conditioning. That being said you will find areas on yourself that are weaker than you think.
Hey thanks. I was wondering if people trained in other modalities.

@ Aaron

Thanks for the links! Noted!

@ Robert

Quote:
I agree with those that have said just jump into the WODs. Despite the short duration of many of the workouts you will find that 20 minutes is more than enough time to feel like you want to die and devistate your body for several days. Just be sure that even though you are very strong, scale workouts appropriately and spend a lot of time looking through the demos of the different px-ed motions because even though you are very strong, you can still hurt yourself on a lot of these.
Thanks for the advice. 20 minutes never hurt so much.

@ Nick

Quote:
doing crossfit I have lost somewhere around 25lbs. and have gone from 26% BF to 16%.
Hey thanks for the tips and the map. I will see if there is one closer to me. Great job on the BP Nick

@ Tarun

Quote:
Depending on the type of WoD, you may need to scale it down based on the number of rounds or stamina required to complete the workout, but one thing is for sure, you will see gains will Crossfit, as it combines both strength and stamina (among others) while maintaining functional movement.

Try out Crossfit for a month by doing the WoD's, see where you are and find out how to encorporate CrossFit with your other strength training goals.
Will DO! And this is well said “Crossfit, as it combines both strength and stamina (among others) while maintaining functional movement.”

@ Ken

Hi

@ Theresa

Quote:
welcome, Doug! What an interesting story--I hope you'll start a blog or workout log so we can check on you.
I will think about that…lol And thanks for the welcome.

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #24
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
Monday Morning: 8 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Chest Heavy – 3 minute rest between heavy sets/less than 6 reps per set
1 warm-up set of 135 flat bench
8 sets heavy Barbell Bench
2 decline sets (if someone spots)
3 sets Dumbbell Incline press
3 sets Dumbbell fly’s flat bench

Triceps –

3 sets Close grip bench
3 sets pull downs (triceps extensions)

Monday Night: Reflexology work (off)

Tuesday Morning:
8 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Back Heavy – 3 minute rest between heavy sets/ less than 6 reps per set

4 sets Barbell Dead Lifts (pass on light week)
2 sets of one arm t-row using dead lift bar
4 sets Pull Ups wide grip
2 sets One-arm pull downs each arm (on lat machine).
2 heavy sets One-arm dumbbell rows - each side standing against rack.
3 Cable back pulls using the large 2-handed weight machine.

Bicepts –

4 sets of Barbell Curls
3 dumbbell curls

Tuesday night: 15 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Heavy Legs – 3 minute rest between heavy sets/ less than 6 reps per set

6 sets of leg press (I work up to 800 - 900 pounds).
4 sets of barbell squats (deep) on smith machine
3 sets of barbell lunges (individual legs)
4 sets of heavy calf exercises (loaded machine)

Wednesday Morning:
15 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Heavy Shoulders - 3 minute rest between heavy sets/ less than 6 reps per set

6 sets Barbell Standing presses (front)
4 sets Behind the neck
3 sets Dumbbell Baby-Chuckers (what are baby-chuckers? That’s the nickname I gave them 20 years ago. While standing - feet shoulder width, hold one dumbbell with two hands with a baseball bat grip. Keep legs bent while vertically lifting dumbbell up overhead and back down to groin. Your back should remain vertical and straight and you should be staring dead even into a mirror. Arms should be slightly bent and a nice smooth motion (like a half moon) should be seen (like a parentheses on your computer keys). Thrust hard going up while slowly stopping the weight directly above your head. Then slowly arc the weight down in the same half moon it came up in. It’s very important that you wear gloves. It will kill your knuckles if you don’t. This exercise will blow out your delts!
4 sets Barbell Shrugs super heavy (like above 500 pounds).

Wednesday Night: elliptical 30 minutes after workout

Light Chest – less than 30 second rest between sets

4 big sets Cable Fly’s strip set (60 reps per butterfly set during light week)
6 sets Barbell Incline Bench
4 sets Dips
4 reverse bench sets lightweight

Thursday Morning: elliptical 15 minutes after workout

Back Light – less than 30 seconds rest with high reps (15-21 reps)

3 sets Pull Ups close grip to failure (lighten weight till you do at least 21 reps)
3 sets barbell Good mornings (smith machine)
3 sets Bent-over reverse fly’s - (as I bend over I put my head on the back or an incline press bench so as to isolate the lats).
3 Cable pull-downs (2-hand wide grip)
2 super sets of One-arm dumbbell rows - each side (left-right) standing against rack. Make sure to run the entire rack [20 sets] with 5 seconds of rest between each set. In other words, you should do 3 reps per arm/back x 20 sets with 5 seconds of rest between each arm. This exercise will separate the men from the boys. Keep a puke bag close!
2 sets of low back English lifts using ball.

Thursday night: elliptical 30 minutes after workout

Light Shoulders -

2 super sets Dumbbell press rainbows/run the rack. 3 reps x 20 sets with 5 seconds of rest between each rainbow exercise. What is a dumbbell press rainbow? You stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Arnold-press the dumbbells straight up. Then when you get to full extension move your right foot forward a full 2-foot-legth step and fly the weights down slowly at the same time (like a negative) in a rainbow formation (kinda like the Incredible Hulk used to pose before he started throwing bodies). The step should be performed just before the drop of weights but should be done almost simultaneously. The step forward will start the motion of the controlled dropping of dumbbells. Once arms are at the side, step back and repeat. Remember, the rainbow motion is like two half-moons coming together at the bottom range of the exercise.
4 sets Crossover cables/batman flys (I cross hands and pull the weight from the base of the cable crossover machine (that gets the posterior position of the rear delts).
3 front row raises using dumbbells
3 upright rows close grip on smith machine
3 sets of dumbbell presses sitting (Arnold presses)

Friday Morning: elliptical 30 minutes after workout

Light Legs – 8 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

75-rep set that starts with a weight I can do 15 times and then I strip it until all 75 reps are done with no rest. Keep stripping weights (strip and get right back into the press position/no brakes) and making sure you can only do 10 reps before failure - so that the drop continues. The set should take about 3 to 4 minutes. That’s right! One set that will make you puke your guts out. Most people cannot walk for at least 10 minutes after this set!).
3 sets of dumbbell hamstring bent-over extensions (feet together – 100 pound plus dumbbells).
3 sets of smith machine hack squats (try lifting up that back leg)
3 sets free standing calf raises

Finnish with 30 agonizing minutes on the elliptical!

Friday Night or Saturday Morning

Arms – No rest cardio night

20 sets of round robbin (everything under the sun as fast as you can). Make sure to alternant between triceps and biceps.
Hmmmmmm HMMMMMMMM; that is a ****load of complicated text. I just skimmed it but I think I have an idea. Your workout looks like a body builder workout based on a body part split right? I think if you are trying to convert your program to reflect your needs more now that your in your 40's you should follow crossfit WOD's with a supplemental strenght regiment.

I would get rid of all the single joint movements. Then I would remove all mashines and smith machine exercises.

I would then follow the WOD ax rx'd or scale it down for now. Also, since you have a solid strenght background I would supplement each WOD with a complimentary set of exercises to make it more strenght oriented but without loosing the essence of the actual workout. I think the best way for you to do this is to read up on crossfit methodology more and be able to add onto the WOD's to suit your needs correctly.

You shouldn't loose much strenght if at all. What will happen tho is you will notice that your strenght / weight ratio will sky rocket, you will be more agile, faster and have MUCH more endurance as well as be able to do body weight exercises much more effortlessly.

Right now I'm doing a strenght workout with primarily focusing on the squat, dl and the olympic lifts. I supplement this with a gymnastic regimen on the rings as well as one day of hard metcon.

You will loose size, yeah I know its a disaster, you'll probably have doubts about staying on the program because you probably are so used to being the big strong mofo in the gym that loosing any weight is going to wreck mental havoc on you. Just relax tho, because you'll feel so much better once you realize your lighter and still as strong.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #25
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Welcome Doug!
Congrats on your willingness to try CF and Eva at that for your first workout! She is an amazing women! The WOD and lady herself!
Look on the CF main page under the affiliate section and I highly encourage you to hook up with a CF trainer to assist,motivate you. Second, save you pennies and attend a cert. That and read the CFJ, posts, forums is where the wealth of knowledge is to educate so you can perform better and have a community encouraging you along the way!
Keep us posted on your progress!
Lisa Q
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #26
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Mirza

Quote:
I would supplement each WOD with a complimentary set of exercises to make it more strenght oriented but without loosing the essence of the actual workout.
So maybe I could do Heavy chest (bench 5x5) on a short WOD that would not engage or isolate that primary muscle (s)?

I wonder if that would effect the next days woods? Sounds like a good idea! I am willing to give up the heavy incline sled. It takes forever just to load it with 20 plates or more and is not as hard as that overhead squat.

@ Lisa

It appears that there is no CF gym within an 1 1/2 from me. Looks like I will have to have my dad watch the videos with me to help my form.

When a CF class comes in this area late this year I may get my Dad and I to it.

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #27
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Doug, there are plenty of guys in your shoes who want the same thing, but are too proud to try the "easy" workouts posted on the front page. Glad to see that didn't hold you back!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #28
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
@ Mirza

So maybe I could do Heavy chest (bench 5x5) on a short WOD that would not engage or isolate that primary muscle (s)?

I wonder if that would effect the next days woods? Sounds like a good idea! I am willing to give up the heavy incline sled. It takes forever just to load it with 20 plates or more and is not as hard as that overhead squat.

Doug
There's many combo's you can go with. Honestly; it really depends on what your goals are. I'm sure you don't JUST want to drop 54 pounds and that's it u know? Perhaps you should explore the exercises in the main secion of the website; for example a guy your size it would be very impressive to see you doing muscle ups. I know it can be done, my friend at 190-200# does 6 kipping ones consecutively w/o touching the ground. On rings.

Or perhaps you would like to throw some crazy numbers up in the hang clean or snatch. Even a lot of smaller guys can oly lift really good and put up some great numbers; meaning you loosing 54 pounds will probably help you strenght wise in functional terms.

Right now I am focused on increasing my muscle size before switching my workout to maily focus on gymnastics strenght moves. Side projects that work in hand with my main goals would be increasing numbers in Squat, DL, Snatch, Clean and the Jerk.

Once I switch to maily gymnastics: My goals will shift to reaching Full Planche hold, Full Lever hold for over 10 seconds and the Iron Cross. Side projects then will be achieving variying handstands, HSPU's freestanding, the olympic lifts, splits, pike press ( flexiblity preequisite of course) etc..

This is probably over the course of the next year or so. If your going to the gym just to grind through the same routine without set MEASURABLE goals then you are cutting yourself short.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Quote:
@ Mirza

@ Lisa

It appears that there is no CF gym within an 1 1/2 from me. Looks like I will have to have my dad watch the videos with me to help my form.

When a CF class comes in this area late this year I may get my Dad and I to it.

Doug
Sorry Doug but we have no idea what isolate means
Key word being functional here.

You got the basic idea, add what you need in order to maintain the heavy strength you already have. Caution: Chances are, if it wasn't hard on one set of muscles that day, it will be hard the next.
The WoDs won't put the same heavy sets on the same muscles 3 days in a row...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #30
Bill Shiffler

Profile:

Welcome Doug,

I just skimmed through this post a bit. Man, I'm excited for you. I am a competitive bodybuilder and have been CF'ing for about 6 months now.

Best thing I ever did. Enjoy the ride!

-Bill