CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Doug Holland

Profile:
Great respect for Crossfit Athletes

I now have “Great respect for Crossfit Athletes.”

Before I expound on my newfound respect for your art, a little about me.

I am a 39-year-old man (40 in just a few days) who has been lifting weights for over 25 year and prided myself on the fact I was in good shape.

Here are my maintenance stats
Bench and squat 400 pounds
Shoulder press 225
Curl 185
DL around 450

Some fun statistics
I can bench 225 for 30 reps and leg press (strip sets of 800 pounds) for 75 reps (that’s a 4 minute set with no rest).

I am 6’ 4” and weigh 308 pounds. My arms measure close to 21 inches

Wakeup call
I thought I was in great shape for my age except for the fact I have visceral fat around my waste. My father (who is a Chiropractor) warned me of the dangers of this fat that I have around my waste and that I was now forming in the pectoral region.

After learning it’s not ok to carry extra weight even if you are strong, I ventured and challenged myself to get it off. This new challenge would require me to lose 54 pounds to get back to 13 percent body fat.

So for the last 2 months my diet has been perfect (losing 1 pound a week). However, it was like something was missing. Even though I spend 12 hours a week in the gym, I would get tired chasing my kids through 2 feet of snow for just a few minutes.

It was time to rethink my whole workout strategy. What could I do to improve my cardiovascular system without jeopardizing strength?

Someone at another forum suggested I try Crossfit. My response after a quick trip to the index page of this site was……………………………….”Pleeeeeeeeeaazeeeeeeee!”

The workout seemed inferior and weak. “What, 50 air squats? Pushups? Jump Boxes? Please!”

Response from contributor……………….”You won’t make 2 rounds”

And that was it. I was in on any challenge. My body was used to puking on heavy leg day (haven’t for the last 2 years) so this will be a walk in the park. So that is what I thought.

First I spent several days on this site and forum in order to get a basic idea of the workout style. Then I went to youtube to foment into my mind the basic exercises used for crossfit training (KB, Rings, JB, Jerks, ext.)

Now it was time for me to walk the walk.

"Eva" Feb 26

Five rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
2 pood Kettlebell swing, 30 reps
30 Pull-ups

Doug did 3 rounds with 15 pull-ups, 30 one-arm poods, 1-minute-elliptical (2 feet of snow outside).

I cannot believe how exhausted I was, almost throwing up once and seeing stars the rest of the time. My heart was beating so hard I thought my sternum was ready to pop like a cork. So I only did 3 rounds and fewer pull-ups.

Feb 27

Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 reps 225
Push press 3-3-3-3-3 reps 185
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps 135

Even though this is more my style, the push jerks really challenged my coordination and technicality. Thus I was breathing hard at the end of the one-hour workout.

But here is the good part; I have never felt so tired in my life. It’s a good tired and my muscles feel warm and full of blood. I also discovered new pain areas and weaknesses I thought could not exist.

I just wanted to say thanks for this site and for this newfound strength program that has offered me new challenges and has humbled me at the same time.

It’s not every day that a 35-pound dumbbell can break a 300-pound strong man (KB one arm poods).

Here is my old workout below.

Any pointers for how to make this transition to crossfit would be most welcome.

Doug
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Doug Holland

Profile:
Re: Great respect for Crossfit Athletes

Monday Morning: 8 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Chest Heavy – 3 minute rest between heavy sets/less than 6 reps per set
1 warm-up set of 135 flat bench
8 sets heavy Barbell Bench
2 decline sets (if someone spots)
3 sets Dumbbell Incline press
3 sets Dumbbell fly’s flat bench

Triceps –

3 sets Close grip bench
3 sets pull downs (triceps extensions)

Monday Night: Reflexology work (off)

Tuesday Morning:
8 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Back Heavy – 3 minute rest between heavy sets/ less than 6 reps per set

4 sets Barbell Dead Lifts (pass on light week)
2 sets of one arm t-row using dead lift bar
4 sets Pull Ups wide grip
2 sets One-arm pull downs each arm (on lat machine).
2 heavy sets One-arm dumbbell rows - each side standing against rack.
3 Cable back pulls using the large 2-handed weight machine.

Bicepts –

4 sets of Barbell Curls
3 dumbbell curls

Tuesday night: 15 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Heavy Legs – 3 minute rest between heavy sets/ less than 6 reps per set

6 sets of leg press (I work up to 800 - 900 pounds).
4 sets of barbell squats (deep) on smith machine
3 sets of barbell lunges (individual legs)
4 sets of heavy calf exercises (loaded machine)

Wednesday Morning:
15 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

Heavy Shoulders - 3 minute rest between heavy sets/ less than 6 reps per set

6 sets Barbell Standing presses (front)
4 sets Behind the neck
3 sets Dumbbell Baby-Chuckers (what are baby-chuckers? That’s the nickname I gave them 20 years ago. While standing - feet shoulder width, hold one dumbbell with two hands with a baseball bat grip. Keep legs bent while vertically lifting dumbbell up overhead and back down to groin. Your back should remain vertical and straight and you should be staring dead even into a mirror. Arms should be slightly bent and a nice smooth motion (like a half moon) should be seen (like a parentheses on your computer keys). Thrust hard going up while slowly stopping the weight directly above your head. Then slowly arc the weight down in the same half moon it came up in. It’s very important that you wear gloves. It will kill your knuckles if you don’t. This exercise will blow out your delts!
4 sets Barbell Shrugs super heavy (like above 500 pounds).

Wednesday Night: elliptical 30 minutes after workout

Light Chest – less than 30 second rest between sets

4 big sets Cable Fly’s strip set (60 reps per butterfly set during light week)
6 sets Barbell Incline Bench
4 sets Dips
4 reverse bench sets lightweight

Thursday Morning: elliptical 15 minutes after workout

Back Light – less than 30 seconds rest with high reps (15-21 reps)

3 sets Pull Ups close grip to failure (lighten weight till you do at least 21 reps)
3 sets barbell Good mornings (smith machine)
3 sets Bent-over reverse fly’s - (as I bend over I put my head on the back or an incline press bench so as to isolate the lats).
3 Cable pull-downs (2-hand wide grip)
2 super sets of One-arm dumbbell rows - each side (left-right) standing against rack. Make sure to run the entire rack [20 sets] with 5 seconds of rest between each set. In other words, you should do 3 reps per arm/back x 20 sets with 5 seconds of rest between each arm. This exercise will separate the men from the boys. Keep a puke bag close!
2 sets of low back English lifts using ball.

Thursday night: elliptical 30 minutes after workout

Light Shoulders -

2 super sets Dumbbell press rainbows/run the rack. 3 reps x 20 sets with 5 seconds of rest between each rainbow exercise. What is a dumbbell press rainbow? You stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Arnold-press the dumbbells straight up. Then when you get to full extension move your right foot forward a full 2-foot-legth step and fly the weights down slowly at the same time (like a negative) in a rainbow formation (kinda like the Incredible Hulk used to pose before he started throwing bodies). The step should be performed just before the drop of weights but should be done almost simultaneously. The step forward will start the motion of the controlled dropping of dumbbells. Once arms are at the side, step back and repeat. Remember, the rainbow motion is like two half-moons coming together at the bottom range of the exercise.
4 sets Crossover cables/batman flys (I cross hands and pull the weight from the base of the cable crossover machine (that gets the posterior position of the rear delts).
3 front row raises using dumbbells
3 upright rows close grip on smith machine
3 sets of dumbbell presses sitting (Arnold presses)

Friday Morning: elliptical 30 minutes after workout

Light Legs – 8 minute warm-up on elliptical before workout

75-rep set that starts with a weight I can do 15 times and then I strip it until all 75 reps are done with no rest. Keep stripping weights (strip and get right back into the press position/no brakes) and making sure you can only do 10 reps before failure - so that the drop continues. The set should take about 3 to 4 minutes. That’s right! One set that will make you puke your guts out. Most people cannot walk for at least 10 minutes after this set!).
3 sets of dumbbell hamstring bent-over extensions (feet together – 100 pound plus dumbbells).
3 sets of smith machine hack squats (try lifting up that back leg)
3 sets free standing calf raises

Finnish with 30 agonizing minutes on the elliptical!

Friday Night or Saturday Morning

Arms – No rest cardio night

20 sets of round robbin (everything under the sun as fast as you can). Make sure to alternant between triceps and biceps.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Exchange above workout for the WOD. Less typing too. Like all of us knew crossfitters, you'll find your muscles responding in ways they never have before.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Leah Turner

Profile:

I'm not the right person to offer you advice on transitioning your typical workout into CF, but welcome all the same!

There is no doubt you train hard. And I always thought that that was the key to working out. But, I realized from CF that it's also about "training smart." Maybe someone more seasoned can devulge on that topic.

Again, great to have you Doug!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

I didn't mean to sound flippant or brief, but in actuality, I did. I'm new to this, so I obviously cannot tell you how to work your system seamlessly into CF, if it's possible.

You obviously have a good physiology/anatomy background. You can find a lot of the technical answers that you probably desire in Starting Strength, if you haven't already read it. I'm finding the principles of that book apply to most, if not all of why Crossfit is successful with muscular growth. I've learned to use the body to move weight as it is designed, with functional movement.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Leah

Thanks for the welcome

@ Bob

Just started looking at Ripptoe ideas for Starting Strength. Looks good.

Is Mark Ripptoe involved with CF's creation?

Doug
Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Bob Guere

Profile:

CF Creation? I don't think so, but like I said, I'm pretty new here also. Greg Glassman (aka Coach) is the "daddy" of CF as far as I know. The particulars behind it's creation are still foreign to me, but not for long. I'm drinking the cool aid by the gallon these days.

Last edited by Bob Guere : 02-27-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Spencer Fossier

Profile:

I'm new also, but I can say with certainty that you have no place doing the SS routine. With your maxes what they are, you need focus more on WOD type workouts.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

What an exciting phase, welcome to CrossFit ! Starting with Eva is one hell of a start I have to say. I can't wait for you to meet the other "girls".

All I could say is forget about your previous routine, and just follow the WOD on the main page for 1 month and see how you like the results after that period.

Seriously, it is life changing.

Enjoy the ride !
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Neil Khant

Profile:

Many people here do the WOD along with other forms of athletics. This includes wrestling, MMA, climbing, biking, Olympic weightlifting, and even body building. Work through the WOD "as RX'ed" (as Prescribed). On some days it will take everything out of you on others you will want to do more. Use your judgment and read up on the forum to see what others are doing. Strength does not seem to be an issue for you as much as conditioning. That being said you will find areas on yourself that are weaker than you think.

Good luck to you.

The ability to search this forum is your friend, it helped me when I started and I still learn from this forum now.