CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
Grae Yohe

Profile:
How can I best train with a broken arm?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the CF boards after a lot of lurking. I post a whole lot on the Men's Health board under the name "Heroin Bob" and have posted this same basic question there, but I wanted to get the opinion of CF folks who enjoy a challenge and never say die.

I've been training for about 14 years (I'm 31) and have been doing CrossFit workouts along with heavy Olympic and non-Olympic work for around 8-9 months. Leo Soubbotine of CF Evolution also posts at MH and was the one who got me to drink the CF Kool-Ade.

Here's what happenned: This morning, at the bottom of a 205 lb. clean, I struck my left knee with my left elbow and snapped my ulna as my forearm jammed between the weight and my knee. I'm now wearing a cast from the wrist to above the elbow.

I want to not just keep training for its own sake, but actually also use this opportunity to learn some new stuff that I wouldn't have done if I were still 2-armed. Trying to make lemonade out of these lemons.

What would you do? I'm thinking pistols and 1-arm pushups with the good arm for sure. Maybe DB snatches and some sort of 1-arm chinup progression. GHRs and back extensions for time? V-sits? How else can I attack this? How would you cobble together a routine for the next 2 months?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Re: How can I best train with a broken arm?

Sorry to hear about your accident, I've never heard of anyone doing that on clean in the manner that you did it! That is a great attitude to look at everything though.

1. Anything for lower body that doesn't require 2 hands to hold a weight, you've already mentioned a lot of good things,here is a list off the top of my head along with some upper body suggestions also.
-suitcase deadlifts
-farmers walk
-pistols
-air squats
-1 legged semi stiff legged deadlift (or romanian deadlift)
-GHR's
-back extensions
-GHR situp
-one arm db press/push press/jerk
-db snatches
-db cleans
-I'm not sure how advanced you are to pursue a 1 arm pullup and I'm not too qualified to talk about those either
-Grip training
-bulgarian split squats
-lunges all types (hammer, walking, jump)
-speed bagging
-one arm pushup
-one arm bench/floor press

Hope these help.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I'd be a little worried about creating imbalances if you're doing unilateral work on one side only.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Grae Yohe

Profile:

Thank you for the ideas! I also think this will be a good opportunity to work on my running.

Allen, I'm definitely NOT advanced enough in pulling strength to truly attempt a 1-arm pullup. I was thinking more of a progression toward it, to move in that direction.

Brandon: I know what you're saying, but I'm also sort of intrigued by research that suggests that training an able limb has a carryover to an immobile/injured one. Details are here. I should probably be clear that this isn't a case of a guy bull-headedly ignoring medical advice in order to plow through an injury. While I do love to train, this is more about wanting to experiment and find out what a 1-armed guy can do. Almost a tribute to the athletes out there who have lost a limb permanently.

In case anyone is interested,here's a link to what the MH people have had to say.

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, strength is retained in the injured limb with training of the other limb. It's quite interesting actually. The imbalances shouldn't be that bad as long as you don't go crazy with strength work.

OA oly lift variations should suit you well and pretty much everything else Allen said.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Jan Bester

Profile:

Welcome, HB! was opening this thread wondering if it was acoincidence that you broke your arm and some guy came on here asking about training witha broken arm too! Sorry again to hear about your arm! Hope you find a bunch of good info on here though!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Grae Yohe

Profile:

That you, JBG?

Thanks, Steven. I'm also a budding gymnast (a 6-foot, 205 pound, 31-year-old one) and have gotten some great info out of your posts, so thank you. I imagine in a few weeks I may begin to resume tucks, 1-arm cartwheels, and aerials, too.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Jan Bester

Profile:

Indeed it is :P Welcome to the boards!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Listen girls I love to read about the reunion but I think this is a training forum! The man love of HB is felt everywhere! Grae I'm glad your finally posting
Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Dan John of "get up" had a similar injury at an Oly meet although I think he was doing a SN and broke his wrist. He did quite a bit of one armed Oly lifts and his prescribed rehab. If you type him in your browser I am sure you can find his site and the story of his injury and rehab/recovery.