CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Fibromyalgia... anyone know much?

Hopefully Dr. G will get in on this with a little insight. My mom's suffered from fibromyalgia (sp?) for the last two years. She's had all the blood work etc. but she never seemed to get better, even as she made changes (albeit slight) to her diet.

After one particularly tough weekend, she went to see her doctor, who began thinking that she had polimyalgia due to her inflammation levels being so high. Now she takes prednisone to keep the inflammation/pain in check. Upon further review, her doctor thinks that it may not be either and that it may be a food allergy that she's developed

I was wondering if anyone on these boards has had or knows anyone with experience dealing with either poli or fibromyalgia.

She's got a good friend that had a similar experience and was able to get over it. My mom has definitely not gotten over he symptoms.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Bob Sorensen

Profile:
Re: Fibromyalgia... anyone know much?

Check out a book called "From Fatigued to Fantastic" by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum(sp). He was in his 3rd yr of Med school and came down with chronic fatigue syndrome following what may have been a severe flu. Anyway, his research has led him into many related areas including fibromyalgia, Mono, CFS, etc. He outlines a program of nutrition, medications, supplements and testing to deal with the various aspects of the disorders and has seen remarkable success. His practice focused on this exclusively now. I have had mono/cfs 5 times in my life. Since adopting his program and principles, I have been healthier than ever and no severe illnesses now for 4-5 years. Good luck! Hang in there. It takes time, but it brings improvements.

Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I know a little bit. It's one of the autoimune disorders. I have a fairly mind case of it. Contrary to what some people have been told, working out is good. It's finding the best workouts that support the entire body. I take Valerian Root at night. It's a natural muscle relaxer, and I take homeopathic arnica after workouts, and throughout the day according to the bottle. If you check out the thread on natural anti-inflammatories, there may be some good info there. Eat foods that support the immune system and avoid the classic immune challangers. Avoid sugar, nightshade vegetables(eggplant, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes). Consider a diet close to Paleo in that it eliminates dairy and yeast products like bread.
Make sure to warm up, and stretch before the workouts. During an acute bout of it, rest. This is a long post; I'm hoping to read from our Doctors, and Physical therapists. One more thing: Reiki Energy work. It's an alternative healing modality. I'm a Reiki Master Practitioner, and can give you info on another post, or email.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Thanks for both of your replies. It's actually my mother who's got the condition.

I'll check out the information and see if I can get her to actually heed said advice.

Like so many others, I think she wants results without all the work. I think that after so much time though she's ready to make her necessary changes.

Sorry bout the bold print. I wasn't clear if those responding thought I had the condition. I'm posting on behalf of my mom. Hopefully she'll get a little better with the advice all are kind enough to offer.

Last edited by Derek Weaver : 01-05-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: for the bold face print:
Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Thanks for both of your replies. It's actually my mother who's got the condition.

I'll check out the information and see if I can get her to actually heed said advice.

Like so many others, I think she wants results without all the work. I think that after so much time though she's ready to make her necessary changes.

Sorry bout the bold print. I wasn't clear if those responding thought I had the condition. I'm posting on behalf of my mom. Hopefully she'll get a little better with the advice all are kind enough to offer.
No problem on the bold print. I must have imagined that both you and your mother had it. Good luck with giving your mother advice. Hopefully, she will be able to try it out.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Thanks Lenora. She's "commissioned" me to check out the book that Bob suggested, and kind of distill the information down. IN the meantime she's attempting to go wheat free, incorporate more greens.

Essentially she's going Paleo for the next few weeks. Then we'll start working some exercise in (yoga, treadmill walking, light, light calisthenics etc.) 2-3x's/week. Hopefully she'll start to turn the corner before summer.

Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Richard Meller

Profile:

A friend of mine was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 10 years ago. Last year she started on Lyrica and she swears by it.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:

look for research surrounding hyperinsulinism. A paleo/zone dietary approach is a great way to go.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
Ken Roberts

Profile:
Exclamation Re: Fibromyalgia... anyone know much?

This past saturday I went to a health and wellness seminar and spoke to a lady who has had Fibromyalgia for the past 25 years. She told me how 5 years ago it was so bad that she could not move at all. She met a lady who introduced her to a product called OPC-3 (contains the highest quality ingredients to create the most effective and potent OPC product on the market. Oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) are bioflavonoids (complex organic plant compounds) found in fruits, vegetables and certain tree barks that provide exceptional nutritional benefits to the human body. The three best sources of OPCs available are in Market America’s OPC-3 — grape seed extract, red wine extract and Pycnogenol from pine bark. Helps maintain healthy circulation by strengthening capillaries, arteries and veins and supports cardiovascular health).
The lady now is doing very well, she's in her late sixties, and now his a health and wellness beliver. Which goes to show that you cannot take it for granted that eat healthy and your body will do the rest. It won't, and the older we get the more our body has problems absorbing and digesting the foods we eat. Plus to get a power for antixidant like what you would find in grapes, fruits and vegetables, you might as well eat a whole wheel barrel full at each serving. This why there are products on the market that are Isotonic (no chemical change) and deliver a powerful effect to the immune system.
For anyone that is interested the seminar was given by Debi Waldek, who has been lecturing about health and wellness for the past 15 years. Great speaker.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Thanks Ken. So far she's been doing several things that seem basic, but as most of us on these boards know, aren't for mostin America.

She's been including more greens in her meals. Replaced her starches with fruit and veggies (essentially doubling the amount of "plants" she's eating) and is switching to omega eggs and grass fed meats. Every little bit helps. Essentially, she's gone paleo/zone as Robb suggested.

I'm going to get the book that was suggested earlier and distill the information down for her. Her doctor thinks that maybe she had contracted some sort of a virus or developed a food allergy that's causing the inflammation. Hopefully as she gets more natural in her approach to diet she'll improve.