CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
All,

This is the second time in about 6 mos. that this has happened. After doing pullups (3 sets of 15 for the CF warmup) today, I noticed on my left-hand ring finger (on which I wear a wedding band) a bunch of tiny red spots, mostly grouped between the two small knuckles (the part that has hair on some people). It looks like a bunch of tiny blood vessels or capillaries burst just under the skin when doing the pullups, due to the ring on that finger. They go away in about a day, so I'm not too alarmed, but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced that. I am guessing it is due to my lard *** being hoisted up and putting lots of strain on my finger, and the ring doing some extra damage that the other fingers don't get to experience.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Why don't you remove the ring for working out? I've already informed my fiancee that it comes off during workouts and sports.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
Yeah, I could, but I lose things easily.. in fact, this is my second wedding band, the first one is 2' below the surface of the front yard (its a long story :-) )

I should take it off for the grippy WODs, and there are a lot of 'em.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
James tie it to your shoe laces. :-)
Old 07-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
I told my wife it will stay prettier if I don't scuff it up with my barbell.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
I already tie the house key to my shoe laces during morning runs (before the WOD) :-) I want to keep the pre-workout prep to a minimum to ensure I don't forget anything... Right now I have to completely change (since I normally wear sandals, a bathing suit, and a black shirt between workouts), find my headphones/mp3 player, find my gps thingy for runs, put my shoes on, lock the door, tie the key to my shoe laces, do the run (I'm training to win in the 5k-10k distance at the local road races), come home, open the garage, back out one or more cars (while sweaty, which stinks up the cars), move the garbage cans, fill my canteen, and start the workout. If I have to remember to remove the ring, then that's one more thing I'll forget!

Damn this fitness fad! Why can't I just grunt, kill a buffalo, and take a nap! ;-)
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Joe Luckett

Profile:

I guess chewing gum at the same time is out of the question.

Back to your original question. Yeah, I sometimes get those little red spot thingies when I forget to take the ring off, expecially in hot weather. Could be a little sweat eczema.

And if you're going to be jumping over fences or anything, take the ring off. I had a student who climbed over a fence on her way home, ring got stuck, body went down, finger came off. Bummer.

-JW
Old 07-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Folks, remove rings and other jewelery before working out. As Joe mentioned you could lose a finger. Not good.

I stick my ring in my wife's jewelery case when I go to workout. Won't get lost, and she's sure to remind me to put it back on when I get back :-).