CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
Hi everyone,

I want to preface this by stating that I have absolutely no relationship to Glenn Pendlay; I just wanted to share an experience I had recently in dealing with him. I'm a firm believer that those that go out of their way to help and serve others need to be recognized for it.

I recently bought some equipment and started my own garage gym. One of the first items that I looked for was a good bar. My options for getting one in person weren't the best; all the bars I tried out in person had crappy grip. Then I came across Glenn's bars on this website. I read on his site how well he had designed the knurling on his bar. Never having tried his bars before, I went out on a limb and decided to purchase his crossfit bar. As a poor recent college grad, the money I spent wasn't spent without a lot of thought.

I saw pictures and reviews of others' crossfit bars on here, and was really impressed and eager to receive mine. When I was finally able to open my bar, I was a bit surpised to find a good amount of rust/corrosion right in the middle section where there is no knurling. I knew that rust on the sleeves was normal, but I didn't expect rust on the black-oxide part.

I talked to Glenn about it and tried to not let it bug me. But Glenn, being the honest man that he is, explained that this was a major fluke and instantly offered to replace my bar. He said that I could go ahead and use it and that he would send me a new one and pay for the postage of sending the old one back.

But the story doesn't end there! "For my trouble," as he put it, he decided to send me his new Economy bar instead! Can you guys believe it?!

The moral of the story: as you all know, absolutely no vendor that we work with is ever going to ship out 100% of their products defect free; that's just a fact of life. But how many of them -eagerly- fix any defective products AND upgrade to an even better model for any trouble they have caused us? Very, very few. Glenn Pendlay is one of those vendors that will absolutely, positively make sure you are 100% satisfied with any bar you purchase from him.

I highly recommend to any others in the market for a bar to purchase from Pendlay. He's a vendor you can trust that makes incredible products.

Sorry this post has been a bit long. I just can't praise the man enough. He deserves the full support of the crossfit community for the great services he provides us. [And it goes without saying, please don't try to take advantage of his generosity by claiming your bar is bad too and expect him to send you all economy bars!]
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Justin,
Don't even begin to think your post was long. Glenn is a great guy, I purchased a CrossFit bar and some bumpers from him, and it was easy as pie. Great service and everything.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Roger Smith

Profile:
How did the crossfit bar compare to the economy? I'm thinking of getting one, but not sure if it would be worth the extra $$ for the economy? Mainly the spin, could you tell the difference? You might be one of the few to have seen both bars...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
I'll be sure to tell you about it, Roger, once I receive it. I just recently let Glenn know that I would take him up on his offer to replace the bar.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I'll second the recommendation of Glenn. I know little about Oly equipment and Glenn spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing what to look for, pros and cons of different equipment, why things are made the way they are, etc. A great guy to do business with, and I'm glad he's a part of our community.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Ron Haskins

Profile:
I've been looking for his number and can't seem to find it searching the posts on OLY bars. Can anyone help me out?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
It is posted on his website.

http://store.wfwclub.com/info.html

(Work Family Safe)
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Ron,

I will help you out. I was just reading this thread and feeling really good. It is nice to know that when you try to treat people well and try to do the right thing it is appreciated. My cell phone number is 940 224 9841. Call anytime. I always love to talk about lifting or lifting equipment, even if its not something you are going to buy from me. If I miss your call, I am very good about returning calls. Look forward to hearing from you.

Glenn
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Jerry Walker

Profile:
my wife got me the crossfit bar for christmas wow what a difference that smaller diameter makes. I am very happy with the bar
Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
David Aguasca

Profile:
ditto, justin. i don't personally know glenn, but buying my first pair of lifting shoes from him has been nothing but a pleasure (except for waiting for UPS to deliver them...i want to use them!)

i originally ordered the regular leather do-wins in blue. i got a call from glenn a few days later, telling me that they were out of that model...so he was going to send me the blue suede ones ($25 more) for the same price!

and by the way, the blue suede do wins are the snazziest-looking shoes ever!