CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Jon McClure

Profile:  
I've been lifting for fifteen years now and have competed in powerlifting. Now I want to focus on conditioning and overall fitness while maintaining a good level of strength and even improving on some lifts I haven't practiced much before like hang cleans, snatches and powercleans.
I'm a victim of paralysis by analysis and I really can't decide how to structure my workout routine. I am thinking about the black box days or 5x5 to go with the crossfit workouts. I also like to mountain bike a few days a week for about an hour or two. The wod's seem to have a fair amount of lifting in them now, as if they are in a black box format. What are you guys doing with your training schedules in regards to adressing strength?

(Message edited by wvfitguy on May 10, 2006)
Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Jon,
I suffered from "paralysis" for five months before diving in. Doing just the WOD's and a few extra squat days, I've seen all aspects of my fitness improve; including strength (I broke a 7 year old PR on deads three weeks ago.) I'd see what 2-3 months of WOD's only does to you. Then you can accurately judge where you'd like to improve, where you feel the program is lacking for you, etc. Coming to Crossfit with a high level of strength, you might not need that much extra strength work to keep your "big three" right where they are. BTW, most of us do full-range "A to A" squats. Mentally prepare yourself for some discouraging poundages when you make the switch from a power squat. :happy: Welcome.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Jon,
welcome and I think Mr. Seiler has a good point. Give the WOD a try on its own and you'll be very surprised to see the results. I am of the opinion that the loads and intensity in any given WOD are up to the individual. Your own good judgement (assuming you have any hehe) is your best friend here. Give the WOD's everything you've got and they'll give back just as much.

For instance, take the workout "Diane" which is 21-15-9 reps of 225lbs deadlift and handstand push-ups for time. If 225 is too light beef it up, if its too heavy take it down a notch, if handstand push-ups are not on your ticket yet do the most difficult variation of feet elevated push-ups you can until you've mastered that.

You'll see that if your strength is all that, then use it to your advantage by lifting those light weights fast for a metabolic advantage. Or take it up a notch and lift heavier and sacrifice slightly on time, either way I guarantee you will get a good workout and improve something.

If you feel you need more lifting or anything else after you've tried the wod for a few weeks or a couple of months on its own you will have a much better idea of what kind of animal you are dealing with. Have fun either way.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Mark Garcia

Profile:
just dive right in. I'd do a scaled down WOD after my 5x5