CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the community, but very happy to find this place. I'm curious how many of you have USA weightlifting vs crossfit oly coaching. I ask because I am trying to find a class to attend for coaching education on the olympic lifts. Does anyone have both? Would that be redundant? Is one cheaper than the other? Any of them offered in vegas? Any coches in vegas? Stop me when i get boring...
Old 02-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Joe, Val Balison is a USAW coach in Henderson - (702) 564-1041, vjbalison@cox.net

Crossfit OL coaches are USAW certified, I believe. Coach Burgener runs the coaching clinics, which are for coaches and athletes as well.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Greg Kemp

Profile:
It is one in the same if Coach Burgener does it. He trained me in 97 to become a Club level Oly-Lift Coach by USAW. Coach B is not so far from Vegas 5 hours or so
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Thanks for the help guys. In saying that it is one in the same if Coach Burgener is the instructor, do you mena that it is recognized by USA Weightlifting. I've heard of Val Balison, I'm just not sure he instructs coaches.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
I asked Coach Burgener this question specifically at the recent seminar in Santa Cruz, what is the difference between the USAW Club Coach course and the CF O-Lifting Course? The USAW course is more book learning, less doing, has a written test, and you get USAW certification. The CF course is more hands on, more doing, and you get CF O lifting certification only, no USAW certification.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
For what its worth here are my thoughts. Unless you really need the alphabet after your name take the CF course. I have been through the USAW course with Coach B, and through several (I think 6) 2 hour to half day courses with him. Something magic happens when he puts the PVC pipe in your hands and raises his voice.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Hey Dan,
Have you talked to C.J. about running a CF style O-lifting course on the East Coast? I'd love to do a more hands on course, and I just found out there's a group of NCO's down here at Benning getting ready to start a CF gym in Columbus who would be interested. Maybe between us we can put together enough people to make it worth Coach Stockel's while. Chris
Old 02-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
I'll do whatever I can to help produce an East Coast class.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
CJ & I are talking now about a 4 hour workshop @ $50 per person sometime in the Spring.

A two day CrossFit O-Lifting course with CJ, such as the one Coach Burgener runs on the west coast, is definitely in the works, but probably not until summer time.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Dan, Awesome. I'm going to e-mail you the contact info for Keith Bach, the guy working on getting a Columbus affiliate running. Hopefully you can help each other out on this. Chris