CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #1
ART

Profile:

I have always had high respect for gymnasts but after today's WOD (squats,muscle-ups)I have a new respect for jymnasts. I went to a gymnastics center for the first time in my life today. Tried the WOD. The squats no problem. Muscle-ups, oh my god! I can do a few pullups and a few dips, and even muscle-ups on a pullups bar. Muscle-ups on rings is a totally different story. That might be the hardest bodyweight exercise I've ever done. Needless to say I didn't even get one! I did the squats according to the time intervals but as for the muscleups, I started out trying then after several attempts someone recommended I try with a little stand and basically give me a boost. I did a few "assisted" muscleups but even that after a couple was hard as hell. I eventually went from doing the squats to doing pullups on the rings and then immediately doing dips on a set of lowered rings right next to the elevated ones. Is this ok or can I work on Muscle-ups another way? BTW I did gymnastics work for the two "open gym" hours after the WOD and I love it. That's a challenge and a half!
Old 12-13-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Start doing your pullups on rings and pull as high as possible with each rep. Do dips on rings, and go as deep as youcan on each rep. I was told that once you get 10-15 reps on each exercise, then muscle ups will be much simpler to learn. unfortunately at my local gym, theres no place to hang rings believe it or not.

cheers

Roy
Old 12-13-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
ART

Profile:

There's not rings at my gym either. I just went to a gymnastics center that has "open gym" for two hours on Saturdays for $8.00. I can work on them there but only once a week. But after one gymnastics workout (muscleups,pommelhorse,paralettes,even bars) I am hooked I will be there every week. But I wish I could afford my gym's fees and the gymnastics center fees and go to both several times a week.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
John McCracken

Profile:
Great work. Keep it up!

For some additional help with the muscle-up, consider getting a copy of the third issue of the CrossFit Journal http://www.crossfit.com/shop/enter.h...tml&lang=en-us. It has an excellent discussion of this essential movement Also, Tyler Hass has also just written an article with a suggested progression to developing the muscle-up at http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/muscleup.htm.

Speaking of respect for the gymnasts. For them, the muscle-up is considered an "A Skill" on a scale from A to E with A being easy!

For more inspiration, check out the hightligts of the 2003 World Gymnastics Championships on ESPN (especially the men's events on the 28th):

Dec. 15 – ESPN – 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m. ET (WAG Individual Event Final)
Dec. 22 – ESPN – 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m. ET (WAG Individual Event Final)
Dec. 28 – ESPN – 5:50-7:00 p.m. ET (MAG/WAG Individual Event Finals and Team & AA highlights)