CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #141
Mark Ritchie

Profile:
Re: CrossFit - Reekbok Apparel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
It'd be difficult to enforce. Are they going to hire a team to travel all over the world to inspect the clothing worn by gym goers?
That is probably the key reason that shouldn't do it. If you have a trademark like "CrossFit" you have to show that you are enforcing it, or you can loose it. They do have an IP theft team that responds to fake affiliates and people misusing the CF name to advertise (online and off). They find out about something, and the send a letter. They can't get everyone who does that, of course, but they are showing due diligence in protecting the trademark.

Enforcing that on t-shirts?

Now if you want to talk about rhabdo from main site WODs, that could be something to get upset about... :stir:
Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #142
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. Have you tried the other "crossfit shoe" also? Any thoughts there?
I didn't. They are pretty cool looking shoes, and heard a lot of great things from those who tried them. The only negative that came up was they were too wide for some. So if Inov-8s are too narrow this is probably the next best.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #143
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
That is probably the key reason that shouldn't do it. If you have a trademark like "CrossFit" you have to show that you are enforcing it, or you can loose it. They do have an IP theft team that responds to fake affiliates and people misusing the CF name to advertise (online and off). They find out about something, and the send a letter. They can't get everyone who does that, of course, but they are showing due diligence in protecting the trademark.

Enforcing that on t-shirts?

Now if you want to talk about rhabdo from main site WODs, that could be something to get upset about... :stir:
That's just dirty pool right there...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #144
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
They might want to do that, but I'm not sure they would be able to. Right now affiliation allows you to use the CF name, and you need a link on your webpage to CF.com. Other than that, you're free to do whatever you want. If they start imposing specifics on how you run your business that are that details, they may start looking like a franchise, not an affiliation -- at which point CF HQ shares more liability for the actions of all the affiliates.

The logistics of having 1000+ plus affiliate printing all their apparel on Reebok clothing would also be pretty insane, especially with small print runs.

So I think it would be pretty unlikely.

What I think is more likely (although still probably not going to happen) is if they gave you the option, as an affiliate, to get Reebok gear printed with your affiliate's logo, etc. They would have to set up a custom print system sort of like CafePress, etc., so I think it is unlikely. But it would be great to have that option for special events, etc. I also think they should have a "pro deal" for CF affiliates similar to how in the outdoor industry, outdoor professionals (NOLS and Outward Bound instructors, etc.), can get gear and clothing at a discount. But that's probably not going to happen either.

There are lots of things that CF HQ can do/does that seem stupid, but trying to enforce a t-shirt rule for all the affiliates would be dumb. Not impossible of course, but just so difficult to do I don't think they'd bother.
In the Reebok Gear video in the Journal, it was directly mentioned by the Reebok employee giving the tour that they would be doing some affiliate apparel. So I already think this is an option.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #145
Phil Imbusch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
In the Reebok Gear video in the Journal, it was directly mentioned by the Reebok employee giving the tour that they would be doing some affiliate apparel. So I already think this is an option.
Apparently for the official Reebok|Crossfit boxes it already has been done.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #146
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:

Quote:
I'm sure it's just that affiliates can choose to have Reebok be their distributor if they want. The same way Life As Rx has an affiliate gear page. Reebok may do the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #147
Alex Europa

Profile:

I've been looking around, and I can't seem to find any other Reebok apparel online that is at the same price-point as the CF/Reebok gear. This is what really miffs me...hell, even the pro-sports teams' gear is priced less.

Reebok can say all that they want about supporting the community, but throwing $250k at the Games winner and making some clothing with snazzy phrases is NOT support...it's just marketing. In my opinion, they are taking CrossFit (and more importantly, CrossFitters) for a ride. Nothing we can do about it other than let our wallets do the talking.

As someone else pointed out, where is the publicity from Reebok's end about the Games? Nothing at all about it on Reebok.com...you'd think if they wanted to "spread the word" and "promote CrossFit" then they would actually, ya know, DO IT (or is that too Nike-esque for them?).

- Alex
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #148
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
As someone else pointed out, where is the publicity from Reebok's end about the Games? Nothing at all about it on Reebok.com...you'd think if they wanted to "spread the word" and "promote CrossFit" then they would actually, ya know, DO IT (or is that too Nike-esque for them?).
Agree. The only real 'change' I've seen is the new store and 'Reebok' being next to 'Crossfit' on all the stuff at the Games. Seems like Reebok is entering the market of Crossfit, but not letting Crossfit enter the wider market of Reebok...
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #149
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
I think this got missed, but CF is setting prices, not Reebok....but everyone is blaming Reebok and "big business" and whatever.... lol

Pass the ammonia...wake up everyone.

Stu, better sniff some of that ammonia, and maybe some coffee, yourself.

CF isn't setting the store prices; Reebok is, and, if the stuff doesn't sell, I'll bet they alter them.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #150
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

For the record I will not be buying pants for $100