CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Diego Sommariva
Member Diego Sommariva is offline
 
Diego Sommariva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estepona  Spain
Posts: 290
Squat Form Check

First time I've been able to make a video of myself. Never had any spotter or coaching. There's a slight rocking due to me "protecting" my bad right knee which was in a bit of pain today, but slowing trying to weed that out.
Any comments and advice would be appreciated. It's always hard to critique oneself.

December 17 Squat (Link WFS)

Thx in advance!


Diego
__________________
-----------------------------
CrossFit, so out of this world Luke Skywalker did it on Dagobah with coach Yoda
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Ralston Baker
Member Ralston Baker is offline
 
Ralston Baker's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Knoxville  TN
Posts: 324
Re: Squat Form Check

Doesnt look too bad... I would just ask for a little more aggression/explosiveness coming out of the hole. When you get heavy it will pay off.
__________________
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Diego Sommariva
Member Diego Sommariva is offline
 
Diego Sommariva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estepona  Spain
Posts: 290
Re: Squat Form Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston Baker View Post
Doesnt look too bad... I would just ask for a little more aggression/explosiveness coming out of the hole. When you get heavy it will pay off.
For me, that was heavy :P
Yea, I try to do that when I remember, but today I was protecting my bad knee. Next time

Thx for the feedback Ralston



Diego
__________________
-----------------------------
CrossFit, so out of this world Luke Skywalker did it on Dagobah with coach Yoda
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Lars Henriksson
Member Lars Henriksson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lund  Sweden
Posts: 3
Re: Squat Form Check

Hi,
This is a very good possibility on crossfit. I need to fix my running technique. I'm sitting when running and I suffer a lot from that on longer distance.
Do you have any good runners on crossfit or does anyone have any advice on forums where you can post a video on your running technique and get feedback?
Best!
Lars

_______________________________________________
How to cure your Achilles Tendinosis | Achilles Heel Pain
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Diego Sommariva
Member Diego Sommariva is offline
 
Diego Sommariva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estepona  Spain
Posts: 290
Re: Squat Form Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Henriksson View Post
Hi,
This is a very good possibility on crossfit. I need to fix my running technique. I'm sitting when running and I suffer a lot from that on longer distance.
Do you have any good runners on crossfit or does anyone have any advice on forums where you can post a video on your running technique and get feedback?
Best!
Lars
Maybe the CrossFit Endurance site? I dunno if they have a forum there but I'm guessing they do.

Diego
__________________
-----------------------------
CrossFit, so out of this world Luke Skywalker did it on Dagobah with coach Yoda
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: Squat Form Check

Diego,
To me, that does not look heavy for you, painful? yes, but not heavy...

I would suggest working on hip and hamstring mobility to improve your squatting position. You have a pretty serious "but wink" right as you hit parallel. And, you seem to be leading with your knees when you come up. Engage your posterior chain and drive though the hips on the way up, this will do more for protecting your "bad knee" than rocking forward the way you do.
It is very likely you could add several kgs to your squat just by working on your bio-mechanics, position and form, and focusing on keeping everything a lot tighter throughout the movement.

Animo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Diego Sommariva
Member Diego Sommariva is offline
 
Diego Sommariva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estepona  Spain
Posts: 290
Re: Squat Form Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Diego,
To me, that does not look heavy for you, painful? yes, but not heavy...

I would suggest working on hip and hamstring mobility to improve your squatting position. You have a pretty serious "but wink" right as you hit parallel. And, you seem to be leading with your knees when you come up. Engage your posterior chain and drive though the hips on the way up, this will do more for protecting your "bad knee" than rocking forward the way you do.
It is very likely you could add several kgs to your squat just by working on your bio-mechanics, position and form, and focusing on keeping everything a lot tighter throughout the movement.

Animo!
Hey Ian, thx for your feedback.
103,5Kg X11 is heavy for me, believe me. Doesn't look like there's much on the barbell but there are two 20Kg discs on either side plus the smaller ones. :P
Regarding Hips and Hamstrings I have been working on flexibility lately and now can put both hands flat on the ground with straight legs. Couldn't do that a few months ago. I think my butt wink, which I'm pretty sure is not as bad as it used to be, might be due to a slackening of my lumbar curve, but I was consciously keeping tight throughout the lift, so not sure what to do there.
And regarding the rocking, that is because on that day I was using my posterior chain too much! If I had leaned forward more during the descent (instead of leaning way back) I wouldn't have rocked as much, but in order to protect the knee that's what was happening. I've noticed my hammies and glutes have become much stronger than my quads, and that's because I practically rely on them for the descent and lift.

Thx again for your feedback.


Diego
__________________
-----------------------------
CrossFit, so out of this world Luke Skywalker did it on Dagobah with coach Yoda
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squat Form Check Markus Bauer Digital Coaching 7 12-21-2009 09:31 PM
Squat Form Check Israel Thomas Narvaez Digital Coaching 6 09-27-2009 04:02 PM
Squat Form Check Brian Newman Digital Coaching 1 01-15-2009 12:38 AM
Squat Form Check James Compora Digital Coaching 1 12-26-2008 01:39 PM
Squat form check Jacob Delgado Digital Coaching 4 07-23-2008 03:16 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.