CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
John M. Liu

Profile:
How to stay healthy with long & unpredictable hours?

Hi all,

In a few days, I'll be starting a new job which has long, but more importantly, unpredictable hours (think 12-15hrs/day avg, sometimes 24 hours when things get busy; often will get called back to work at random times as well).

My question is for anyone else in a similar position: how do you manage to stay healthy/eat 5-6 times a day etc.? I know I likely will not be able to keep improving my level of fitness, but I just don't want to completely lose it all. Anybody have tips? I badly want to stay as healthy as possible.

Cost is less of an issue; if I need to buy a mini-fridge to keep turkey at work, I will do it. Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Ashley Wood

Profile:
Re: How to stay healthy with long & unpredictable hours?

There are weeks at work that I work 7 days a week, 6-7 days a week, between 10-15 hours. The way that I eat healthy is to PLAN on working the longer hours, pack the food that would be needed for the LONGEST amount of time, and if you have to bring it home, then you have to bring it home. You can always use it the next day.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

My job uses a rotating shift work with most work weeks going 7 days before getting a couple days off. It also sometimes has long random days (up to 15, though long days are more typically 12-13) and yeah, I agree with Ashley. You need to pack food for the longest time you will be there. A lunch cooler will be where you start but a mini-fridge could be great, as well as some emergency ratios of jerky, nuts, and dried fruit.

If you will not be able to carry around your lunch cooler for part of your day then also get a thermos. Sometimes I might not be able to sit down for lunch for 8-10 hours. In these cases I bring a big thermos full of milk, or some protein powder concoction.

How many days a week are you doing the long hours, John? Do you have long lunch breaks or predictable down time?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

Eating healthy is easier than getting in good workouts with long and unpredictable hours.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
James Compora

Profile:

if money isnt an issue...you could get yourself a ****load of paleo kits
Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

If you're allowed to purchase/keep a mini fridge at work you're better off than most of the people that have the long/weird hours problem.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
John M. Liu

Profile:

Thanks to all for the input.

These hours will be 6-7 days a week, depending on deal flow. Lunch breaks aren't usually available, unfortunately; most eat at their desks.

I think I would be able to keep a mini-fridge at work, so that would let me store some turkey, spinach, etc. I like the idea of dried fruit for emergencies, though. I have heard of Paleo kits, but don't know anything about it. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into them.

A shot in the dark: does anyone know any restaurants that are Paleo in San Francisco (that one can order through SeamlessWeb)? I get $25/night for dinner, so I could potentially order a cooked paleo meal or perhaps even buy groceries, assuming the restaurant/market is on SeamlessWeb.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Liu View Post
A shot in the dark: does anyone know any restaurants that are Paleo in San Francisco (that one can order through SeamlessWeb)? I get $25/night for dinner, so I could potentially order a cooked paleo meal or perhaps even buy groceries, assuming the restaurant/market is on SeamlessWeb.
Pretty much any restaurant can be Paleo if you watch your food choices. Even McDonald's will give you a green salad with some grilled chicken -- the dressing isn't Paleo, but you don't have to eat it if you don't want.

Katherine
Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Liu View Post
Thanks to all for the input.

These hours will be 6-7 days a week, depending on deal flow. Lunch breaks aren't usually available, unfortunately; most eat at their desks.

I think I would be able to keep a mini-fridge at work, so that would let me store some turkey, spinach, etc. I like the idea of dried fruit for emergencies, though. I have heard of Paleo kits, but don't know anything about it. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into them.

You are working 12-15 hours a day 6-7 days a week? I hope you are getting paid REALLY WELL.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Giles Clarke

Profile:

If you can keep a mini fridge at work I think your problem is solved. You just need to make sure that you work out a schedule of restocking it.
I cook meals for the week on Saturday, separate them into those reusable Glad containers and store them in a fridge in my garage.
I toss the containers into a soft-sided cooler with a couple of freezer packs every morning on my way out of the door and I am good for the day.