CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: 12 week experiment: CrossFit Miles

Week 5

This week I introduced Interval Training to the mix. On Monday I did 6 rounds with 2 minute rest between rounds or the equivalent of 6 x 400m. Thursday, I did 2 CFQ's (ex: 400m sprint + 50 box jumps) for 3 rounds with 2 minute rest between rounds or the equivalent of 3 x 800m.

The change I began to introduce is ensuring I get at least 1 of each row, run and bike in everyday. That just means they'll appear more often seeing as they are the true metcon items.

Week 5 - Age 35 (Birthday was this week), my weight is probably 215# still (forgot to weigh at the gym).

Feb 8th: CFQ x 6 - Row (1m 45s), Box Jmp (1m 36s), K2E (3m 13s), Run (1m 32s), Jmp PU (2m 16s), DL #205 (3m 25s); Max 183 bpm
Feb 9th: Row x2, Run x2, Bike x2, Thrust, Box Jmp - 20m 17s
Feb 11th: CFHM x 3 - Dips+Run (2m 42s), Box Jmp+Bike (4m 07s), Row+Jmp PU (4m 35s)
Feb 12th: 5km - 26m 55s; 177 bpm

The intervals I felt throughout the day, but I think they're good. A few more weeks will tell if they impact a 5km time. It's interesting that the run/row/bike time ratio is about 6:7:8. As before, the weight lifting makes for an interesting CFQ. I like it, but it is rough.

Once again, I'm not sure how to interpret this. I do know the 5km time is misleading due to the high humidity in Djibouti, Africa this time of year. I do know my half way mark was 12 minutes on the dot, and I kept the same heartrate on the back half (177 bpm). As I'll be moving back to the US in two weeks I'll get a more accurate measure there (which may interfere with the experiment a little bit).

I didn't do a long metcon Saturday, but I'll do a 4 mile equivalent next Saturday.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
Charles Applin

Profile:

Week 6

I did not change much this week. There was no recovery mid interval. Like last week, I ensured there was a run, row and bike in the intervals. Since there was a 30 minute endurance work-out on Friday I held off the long interval till Sunday this week.

Feb 15th CFQ Int: KB Sw (1m 35s), Bike (2m 05s), K2E (2m 37s), Cln 95# (2m 01s), Row (2m 00s), Run (1m 26s) - 2m 00s rests between rounds

Feb 17th CFH Int: Thrust+Run (3m 39s), Row+Bike (4m 20s), Box Jmp+30x Sq 185# (6m 00s) - 3m 00s rests between rounds

Feb 21st Long Int: Bike x4, Thrust, PU (-70#), Run x3, KB Sw x2, Jmp PU, Row x3, Box Jumps - 39m 40s

I think the interval training is working. It's the first time I've tried to do Kettlebell swings as fast as I could (pulling it down to increase tempo). For some reason I just could not pull a good row time like last week. In addition, that box jump/squat combo got me close to throwing up (something I still haven't done in CrossFit yet, nor do I intend to).

The long interval was interesting. I kind of wish my watch did lap times so I can mark times at the 4x round points. I know the first 3 CFM's were done in under 30 minutes, but those last rounds ending with box jumps were brutal.

Since I'm leaving Africa in 10 days, I can only do one more week of the experiment uninterrupted. After that, I'll continue as often as I can since I'd like to see what week 12 brings with the interval training thrown in the mix.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Charles Applin

Profile:

Week 7

This might be my last post on this for a bit depending on how my transfer back the US and vacation in Japan goes over the next month.

The only thing I changed was starting with the long program I added double unders and burpees (x25) back in and took out the STQ's. The main reason is in preparation of incorporating some of the Louie Simmons advice into my program during/after this experiment.

What I want to do now for week 8 to 12 is Mon - 8x CFQ, Tues - Max a Push and Pull, Wed - 4x CFH, Friday - Speed lift a Push and Pull, Saturday - 6 CFM's

Week 7 - Still 215# (jeez, I've been that for over a year now).

Feb 23rd: Bike (2m 01s), Push Pr 95# (1m 58s), KB Sw (1m 39s), Box Jmp (1m 38s), Run (1m 31s), Row (1m 55s), Bike (2m 05s), K2E (3m 34s); Rested exactly 2m between rounds.

Feb 25th: Dip+Jmp PU (3m 08s); Bike+K2E (4m 54s); Row+Thrust (5m 19s); Row+Run (3m 51s); Rested exactly 4m between rounds.

Feb 28th: Row x4, Thrust x2, KB Sw, Run x3, Jmp PU, Dbl Und, Box Jmp x2, Bike x5, Burp; (52m 26s). Heart Rate averaged at 168 bpm

First off, that Row+Thruster on the 25th was horrible. I was amazed at how gassed I got. Definitely one to try out on purpose again.

The long program I decided to do a 5 CFM. On the x50 exercises I did a 10 rep/15s rest interval to keep my heart rate in check around 172. The bike was an interesting feeling at the end of the workout. The glutes were burning a bit during that one that was similar to how I felt after biking 15 miles on Superbowl Sunday. Definitely helps prove to me that I don't need to bike 15 miles to get the same impact.

Since I'm having to put it on pause, I'll reflect a bit on this: I still have no clue if this is working. Now, I don't know if 7 weeks ago I could have done what I did today but probably not. I still think if I do the interval training for a few more weeks that it'll help increase my average time on the long set.