CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #51
Doug Holland

Profile:
Re: Great respect for Crossfit Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Do you have experience with Olive Oil? I have been guzzling the stuff recently, to the tune of 16 oz a week. I'm trying to keep my strength and muscle while kicking *** on the bike.

I just checked the vitacost website and it looks like olive and coconut oil have the same amount of fat per serving (14g of fat in a Tablespoon).
Here are some good links into why you may want to include Coconut oil into your diet.

I only use C oil for cooking. It can handle higher temperatures before degrading the enzymes (higher than olive oil). C oil also has MCT's. You will lose weight and keep your muscle.

If it wasn't for C oil I would be 400 pounds.

http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/coconut_oil.htm

http://www.healthinformationlibrary.com/coconut-oil.htm

I do use Olive Oil for my salads.

If you decide to use it, let me know what you think?

Doug
Old 03-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #52
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I have no desire to lose any weight or fat! I am 5'9" and weight 134lbs with 4.5% bodyfat. I will try the Coconut Oil alongside the Olive Oil (probably a swig of one in the AM and the other in the PM and when I train as well). I just need the extra fat in my diet for my body to have a fuel source so it can build and repair without scavenging muscle tissue.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #53
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:

I have no desire to lose any weight or fat! I am 5'9" and weight 134lbs with 4.5% bodyfat. I will try the Coconut Oil alongside the Olive Oil (probably a swig of one in the AM and the other in the PM and when I train as well). I just need the extra fat in my diet for my body to have a fuel source so it can build and repair without scavenging muscle tissue.
Holy cow! (4.5% bodyfat.) Thats great!

The C oil will be your fuel through the workout so your body does not rob your muscles.

Man, I would love to be at 10% BF.

D
Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #54
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
Holy cow! (4.5% bodyfat.) Thats great!

The C oil will be your fuel through the workout so your body does not rob your muscles.

Man, I would love to be at 10% BF.

D
It really is not all it's cracked up to be, I have to eat like a horse to put on any mass and when I started I was really terribly week. I do have a 2x Bodyweight Deadlift though and I'm really just a novice lifter at this point.

Trust me man, dial in your diet and the fat will melt off of you.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #55
Ryan Jones

Profile:

What are your thoughts on coconut milk, Doug? I absolutely love the stuff and for the longest time thought it was terrible for me. Only recently have I started hearing positive things about it, and it makes me much more excited about eating healthy, hehe.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #56
Pedro Cabral

Profile:

yeah i havent done a wod yet im prepping for it tonites da night! but i dunno what to do the bandx programs seem exactly like the ones on crossfit its like a copy of the wod im gonna try this tonite though:

2 rounds of:

5 pullups
10 deadlifts
10 pushups
10 box jumps
10 arm swings

is this a good starting workout? ohh of course the warmup before anything
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #57
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Cabral View Post
yeah i havent done a wod yet im prepping for it tonites da night! but i dunno what to do the bandx programs seem exactly like the ones on crossfit its like a copy of the wod im gonna try this tonite though:

2 rounds of:

5 pullups
10 deadlifts
10 pushups
10 box jumps
10 arm swings

is this a good starting workout? ohh of course the warmup before anything
You're correct the brandx WODs are the crossfit WODs with optional scaled down vesions. That workout would be good to familiarize yourself with a number of crossfit exercises, though the deadlift seems out of place. If I were you I'd just do a brandx scaled down version of the WOD and check the faq and the comments of the day for subs for any exercise you can't do due to personal ability or lack of equipment. It's much easier than trying to figure out what to do on your own, ya know?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #58
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
What are your thoughts on coconut milk, Doug? I absolutely love the stuff and for the longest time thought it was terrible for me. Only recently have I started hearing positive things about it, and it makes me much more excited about eating healthy, hehe.
Thats because of the propaganda from the soy industry in the 1980's. The big corporations wanted to push soy bean oil on the American populace. Only problem was that coconut oil was cheap and was favored by health enthusiasts.

Coconut milk is very good for you. Just be careful it is not canned with sugar and other preservatives. Get it organic!

Doug
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #59
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
It really is not all it's cracked up to be, I have to eat like a horse to put on any mass and when I started I was really terribly week. I do have a 2x Bodyweight Deadlift though and I'm really just a novice lifter at this point.

Trust me man, dial in your diet and the fat will melt off of you.
Dude, I am the king of weight gain. When I was 15 my arms were so small (13') I would wear baggy shirts to hide them.

I could not gain weight for the life of me. Then a friend of mine who was a bodybuilder taught me how.

Protein all the time and no carbs except 2 things (I would drink 8 protein shakes a day on top of all the other meat I ate).

Those two things were broccoli and beer. The heaviest beer is Guinness.

Dog-on-it though, I never gave up the beer even after I put on 225 pounds of muscle....lol

Now after I have burned out my pancreas I have a hard time losing weight. Its all about portion control. I have a personal cook who makes all my meals and they are perfect (losing 1 pound a week).

And I had to give up the beer
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #60
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Doug--
Welcome to CrossFit!