CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Luke Svarc

Profile:
5/3/1 Main Lifts Only & Crossfit

Hey guys,

I have had a read through and seen various threads relating to mixing 5/3/1 and Crossfit but thought I'd ask for opinions on my personal question, I do apologise if this narks anyone off.

I am just starting out in Crossfit after years of on and off weight training, currently haven't trained properly within the past year. I am hoping to get my strength up and to gain some mass also.

I am planning to do 5/3/1 over 2 days a week so something like Squat and Press/Dead and Bench excluding the accessory movements. I will also be planning to WOD 3-4 days a week. Eating in a calorie surplus according to my macros. I mean, realistically will this work say over a year time frame +?

Current Lifts:

Squat: 130kg
Dead: 170kg
Bench: 100kg
Press: 60kg

Weight: 80kg

Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Jason Denny

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 Main Lifts Only & Crossfit

Make sure you do not do too many WODs if your goal is to get strong/build mass. Short WODs here and there will be OK. Too many long metcons will hamper your strength gains. It is a fine balance, some people can do both but I venture to say most cannot.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Luke Svarc

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
Make sure you do not do too many WODs if your goal is to get strong/build mass. Short WODs here and there will be OK. Too many long metcons will hamper your strength gains. It is a fine balance, some people can do both but I venture to say most cannot.
Thanks for the response Jason. I have read about keeping metcons short, avoiding chippers etc. I'm fortunate to have a squat rack and a whole load of plates at home so I can be really flexible with regards to moving my training around to suit getting those short met cons in. I have always been fairly good with repairs and have decent genetics. (I'm just yet to get the most out of them).
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Your plan sounds reasonable, just remember if you are resetting frequently or not able to make required reps in the 5/3/1 work, you are doing too much and need to cut down the WODs.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Luke Svarc

Profile:

I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and make adjustments to training/diet as needed. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Ryan Seymour

Profile:

From my experience, one of the best approaches to this is the 2x per week 5/3/1 template that Wendler has promoted. It's basically the same set up as the standard 4x/week template but you spread one week of work over two. So one week would be squats and bench, the next would be deads and press. It stretches the length of each 5/3/1 cycle to 6 weeks rather than 4 but there's no need to deload, so it really only adds an extra week to it.

Doing this (especially if you take out the accessory lifts) leaves you fresh enough throughout the week to go pretty hard on metcons. Trying to fit 3-4 CF workouts in each week if you were lifting hard on 4 of those days as well would get tough.

In my opinion, it's the best way to program 5/3/1 with full-time CF for the long-term. The reason most people don't use it is because they think 2x a week of 5/3/1 isn't enough frequency. I can tell you first hand, from using this template on it's own without CF, it's very effective if done right.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Luke Svarc

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Seymour View Post
From my experience, one of the best approaches to this is the 2x per week 5/3/1 template that Wendler has promoted. It's basically the same set up as the standard 4x/week template but you spread one week of work over two. So one week would be squats and bench, the next would be deads and press. It stretches the length of each 5/3/1 cycle to 6 weeks rather than 4 but there's no need to deload, so it really only adds an extra week to it.

Doing this (especially if you take out the accessory lifts) leaves you fresh enough throughout the week to go pretty hard on metcons. Trying to fit 3-4 CF workouts in each week if you were lifting hard on 4 of those days as well would get tough.

In my opinion, it's the best way to program 5/3/1 with full-time CF for the long-term. The reason most people don't use it is because they think 2x a week of 5/3/1 isn't enough frequency. I can tell you first hand, from using this template on it's own without CF, it's very effective if done right.

Hey man, thanks for the response. Music to my ears, I have no desire to do the accessory movements, having trained on and off in standard body building templates I really do find that sort of stuff boring, hence my move to Crossfit. So that lead to me thinking 2 days a week plus 3-4 metcons would be enough volume for myself. I will definitely be trying this out and will hopefully be able to post up some good results.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Sorry in just jumping in. Do you mean both movements done 5/3/1 eg press 5,5,5+ then deadlift 5,5,5+?

I have also seen it
Week one:
Press 5,5,5+
Deadlift 5x10

Squat 5,5,5+
Bench 5x10

Week two the other way around.

Richard
Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Luke Svarc

Profile:

No need to apologise!

Yeah I was looking at doing both lifts 5x5, 3x5, 1x5 as you say. Haven't seen the 5x10 rep range on the second lift.

Can you recommend any benefit of doing this over the 5/3/1 on both movements?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Ryan Seymour

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Svarc View Post
Hey man, thanks for the response. Music to my ears, I have no desire to do the accessory movements, having trained on and off in standard body building templates I really do find that sort of stuff boring, hence my move to Crossfit. So that lead to me thinking 2 days a week plus 3-4 metcons would be enough volume for myself. I will definitely be trying this out and will hopefully be able to post up some good results.
Good luck. Heres a link to Wendler talking about this template. Scroll down to Modification #2.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...t/531_reloaded (mostly work safe, some language)