CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Adam Rosner

Profile:
Crossfit for leaning out

I was wondering if y'all had any good examples of body transformations using a Crossfit template. I am currently following an IF protocol (Brad Pilon's Eat-Stop-Eat) and lifting some weights. The thing is that I don't exactly enjoy vanity training. There is nothing more to that other than I have been doing it for years and years and am bored of the body building splits that I have come up with.

A little background: I was in tremendous shape a few years ago, and due to a few personal issues (not problems; had 3 kids in under 3 years - wife is fixed now lol) I have gained a lot of weight. I suppose I could lose 40-60lbs and remain fairly muscular, as I'm around 260-270 now...probably 18-22% body fat.

I have about 600lbs worth of weights at home, a pull up bar (I dare not kip on it though) some dumbells, and bands. I have a good grasp on how to make this stuff work in the context of doing Crossfit at home, but I'm wondering if Crossfit is appropriate for someone like myself, who's goal is strictly weightloss, but who's passion is sports centered rather than aesthetic centered.

Any feedback would be supreme. To sum up the question I'll simply ask: Is crossfit a good way to lean out for someone who has a significant amount of weight to lose?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for leaning out

Yes.

However, most will tell you that losing the weight will come more from the kitchen, not the gym. What's your diet like?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

CF, and high intensity exercise in general, is great for losing fat. Using weight and resistance work in your training will help maintain muscle mass while losing fat, fun varied workouts that allow measurable progress will keep you motivated, and some studies have backed up high intensity being better for fat loss than low intensity even if less calories is burned during the actual work.

You can find numerous testimonials in that section of the message board, and a lot of people around here know people that have lost a lot of weight.

But, as Brian said, the diet has to be in order or you may just get more fit, but not smaller.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

We've had multiple members lose between 40 and 80lbs while getting stronger and more "fit" which in their case was more athletic. They went strict paleo, but regardless, diet is critical. If you're fat and not leaning out its because your diet isnt dialed in.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

If you lift heavy, do the metcons and eat properly, of course you'll lose weight.

While a program specifically designed with the sole objective of fat loss generally works better, if you enjoy the Crossfit workouts more and that allows you to stay consistent, you should definitely stick do Crossfit. Fun+adherence trumps short-term considerations.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Hannah McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rosner View Post
To sum up the question I'll simply ask: Is crossfit a good way to lean out for someone who has a significant amount of weight to lose?
I started crossfitting to lean out, too. Crossfit is circuit training, and circuit training is generally considered one of the best ways to lose weight fast from all that I have read. I agree with others above, though, diet is also key.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

They're right when they say diet is key. I've been CFing since mid-09 and I'm still close to 20% body fat.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I lost close to 130lbs doing CF a few years back. So, yes you can lose a lot of weight doing CF. I haven't done CF in a long time but it does work very well for weight loss. As do other programs.

Just remember though, ab's are made in the kitchen.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
They're right when they say diet is key. I've been CFing since mid-09 and I'm still close to 20% body fat.
Huh. Have you changed anything to correct that?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Erik Knudsen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Huh. Have you changed anything to correct that?
I am in the same boat. I am probably pushing close to 20% BF and been crossfitting for 2 years.

I always thought my eating habits were good and don't have many vices (very little drinking for instance and no midnight runs to the Ice Cream Shoppe).

Erik