CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Santosh Rane

Profile:
L5 S1 herniation and Hemangioma

Helo there,

I got to know about my L5S1 herniation in August 2012. I had just returned from Ladakh after a nice trek. ( This year i plan to go to base camp if my body allows)

I resumed my crossfit and other workouts but i started feeling the pain. My doc was quick in asking me to get a MRI and that confirmed what was wrong.

From August onwards i have taken ZERO pain killers or medicine but have done a ancient ayurveda therapy. I am from India and i am experimenting with ancient art of healing. Today I am not able to lift weights YET, but i have a above average persons life.

I can trek a mountain, i can cycle 20kms, i go to the gym and can do free hand exercise and keep my weight in control.

I have read lot of threads on the same topic. By writing here i wanted to share my little experience and help if someone wants to try ayurveda.

http://letsbeafitindian.blogspot.in/...a-therapy.html

Above is the link to my therapy and my MRI picture.

I need help
1: I am fairly active, but not confident in lifting weights. I am scared.
I get ocassional shocks/buzz in my left toe and sometimes long cycling or treadmill gives my foot a ache which goes away.

No other pain in the hips, butt or quads. Is that a progress? Or its a sign of things getting worse and i need to do something different?

2: I have not taken any medicines and dont intend to for pain relief etc. My understanding is our bodies heal themselves, provided we allow them to. I have done lifestyle changes in sitting posture , and included daily McKenzie exercise as a habit.
Will these back exercise reverse the herniation ever? Or this exercise is just a pain management method?

Would love your inputs, since i want to be superman again and be able to do crossfit and other weight exercise
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Clint Atkinson

Profile:
Re: L5 S1 herniation and Hemangioma

Hi Santosh.
I'm an L4-L5 herniated disc/SI joint patient as well. I've been active in fitness for decades, but just recently started at my local crossfit box. I understand your fears about lifting weight above your shoulders. It needs to be carefully considered.

My personal thoughts:
1) You sound like you have more than one source for your soreness and pain.
2) Herniations, etc. vary in severity, so it's hard for anyone to make a safe or useful comment without consultation.
3) Your healing program sounds incomplete. You're doing good things, but you need a more comprehensive fitness (stretching, strengthening, aligning) program to move ahead safely.
4) Besides your regular doctor, I suggest you find a "sports doctor" and/or a trainer with experience in the physiology of spinal injuries.

But, my experience has been that a disc herniation does heal with proper care. Patience and a focus on fitness can allow one to lift above-shoulder weights safely.

Good luck and stay safe!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Santosh Rane

Profile:

Thank you for replying.

You are right I was not doing stretching of quads, hams and glutes. I was just doing back exercise (Yoga - Cobra and pigeon poses)

I have included those in my daily routine now. Just that my pain has gone up after doing ham stretching. So definitely I have done something not right for sciatica. My stretching form and tech was correct.

My Herniation is as per MRI and my understanding is not much and I end up thinking that my sciatic pain could be more result of a piriformis muscle. I have visited doctors, but none have really been able to give me a accurate picture or diagnosis.

My leg muscles are TIGHT. I have a hard time doing simple yoga poses. So that's how I narrow down to my tight piriformis responsible for my sciatic pain.

Today I can lift weight and ZERO pain in the back. So kinda confused.

Any exercises you know for alignment?
I swim now twice a week and cycle one a week with 2 session upper body and 1 session lower body - Free hand exercises.

OCASSIONALLY I get sore left leg
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Santosh Rane

Profile:

Thank you for replying.

You are right I was not doing stretching of quads, hams and glutes. I was just doing back exercise (Yoga - Cobra and pigeon poses)

I have included those in my daily routine now. Just that my pain has gone up after doing ham stretching. So definitely I have done something not right for sciatica. My stretching form and tech was correct.

My Herniation is as per MRI and my understanding is not much and I end up thinking that my sciatic pain could be more result of a piriformis muscle. I have visited doctors, but none have really been able to give me a accurate picture or diagnosis.

My leg muscles are TIGHT. I have a hard time doing simple yoga poses. So that's how I narrow down to my tight piriformis responsible for my sciatic pain.

Today I can lift weight and ZERO pain in the back. So kinda confused.

Any exercises you know for alignment?
I swim now twice a week and cycle one a week with 2 session upper body and 1 session lower body - Free hand exercises.

OCASSIONALLY I get sore left leg

BUT last few days have been bad, keeping my left foot down hurts. So I am kinda resting.