CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Ok, so don't screw around with this stuff...

Long story short, don't do Angie after doing mostly strength for the summer, with a few metcons mixed in. I've been doing CF for about 1.5 years now, have a 10:20 Helen (my running blows), a 33 minute or so Filthy 50, a pathetic Fran, etc... Basically good on the bodyweight stuff, pathetic on the heavy stuff.

Here's the situation, took the summer off to do some Physical Therapy and rehab stuff, then do some pure strength stuff to get my numbers up (when I can't do Grace as rx'd because the strength component limits me to maybe 2 or 3 135 lb clean & jerks at a time... I decided I needed to change that). Not that all my #'s were too bad, 255 squat, 300 DL, and a pathetic 107 press. 165 lbs bodyweight.

Anyhow, so I do this for about 2 months, and don't do much metcon (though I did do the CFWU every single day I worked out, and rowed every warmup too). I do a few light metcons for the previous two weeks leading up to this workout, and then just decide to do Angie, what the heck.

So, I start, and pop off 25 pullups without a problem (couldn't barely do that before), decide to come down for a break so I don't get even near failure. Go back up, do another 10 if I remember correctly, come back down, etc... and end up finishing pieces and parts here and there, 4, 5, 7 at a time, whatever.

Onto the pushups, surprisingly weak, I do like 15 the first set (normally before I could do 35 straight to failure, but this was bad...), end up breaking them into sets of 5, even 3's at times to finish.

Do the situps, no problem, basically straight through.

Squats, the lack of metcon killed me here, my legs felt nothing, but my heart was saing "are you trying to explode me?" So I broke up the squats just because I was being a wuus (even though this was the easiest part for me).

So I finish, set a PR my first time back, no problem. Didn't feel too bad for the rest of that day (1st day = day I did the workout), and didn't feel all that weak in any muscles either. The next day, a little soreness, I just went out and ran, I think 2 miles, I forget. The 3rd day, pretty sore. The 4th day was horrific, I couldn't even barely move my arms over my head because the muscles were so incredibly tight that they wouldn't allow it, unless I took about 45 seconds to move them slowly (and painfully). Also that day, fully extending my elbow wasn't a very comfortable thing to do either, and my pecs were really tight too.

The 5th day I had a PT appointment, I literally thought about canceling it until I remembered they do just about all hands-on work. They did a ton of massage work, and made me feel a billion times better. About 2 or 3 hours later, I felt about 95% as bad as I did before the PT apointment (it all came back).

The days after, the pain (and range of motion) slowly went back to normal, and about 2 weeks after, I was ok enough to do some things with those muscles again, but still not much.

Now, all this time, no signs of rhabdo as far as there being no coke color entering the city sewer system, if you know what I mean.

But today, at this point (about a month later), I've been doing workouts with those muscles again, and I've noticed a huge weakness. I do 10 pushups and feel like I've done 20. I can barely do one deadhang pullup, I might be able to do 2, where before I could pop off about 7 strict deadhangs, and the first one was literally a yank all the way up to my chest, where now I struggle to get my chin over the bar. Dips, they suck again, I do 3 and feel like I did 10.

So, basically, while I didn't visit the hospital, and didn't have any noticable swelling or anything of that nature, I believe that by jumping right back into Angie (even though I KNEW I should have only done half Angie that day), I literally killed a significant portion of my muscle mass in those muscles. And I'm ****ed as heck at myself for doing it, because I was just about to get my first muscle-up too.

Oh well, live and learn, but I wanted to share this story with y'all, it might not send you to the hospital every time, and it might not even show up immediately, but it still exists. Share the story with your clients and buddies, especially folks who are coming back to CF after a break.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Philip Stablein

Profile:
Re: Ok, so don't screw around with this stuff...

I feel your pain matt. I didn't take the entire summer off, but I took a 6 week break to do some strength work, following what has been a pretty sport specific few weeks before that. Did angie, rhabdo'd my chest. Swollen and painful for more than a week, felt week for days beyond that. "Luckily" I ripped a callus and only did 75 pull-ups, minimizing the problems there. Hope you recover fully and quickly!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Pretty much the same thing happened to me a while ago. Jumped back to metcon after time off doing SS and scaled the workout back to 45 pull-ups total. After the workout, my arms didn't want to straighten, but with time, I got an incredible amount of pain in my biceps. No definite rhabdo signs except the pain and it sorted itself out after about two weeks or so. In my case, though, I didn't notice any significant strength loss and I was back to normal fairly quick... probably wouldn't have been that way had I done the full 75 pull-ups, though.

I think pull-ups especially need to be eased into carefully - it's very easy to overdo them and hurt your elbows even if this kind of thing doesn't happen.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Stablein View Post
I feel your pain matt. I didn't take the entire summer off, but I took a 6 week break to do some strength work, following what has been a pretty sport specific few weeks before that. Did angie, rhabdo'd my chest. Swollen and painful for more than a week, felt week for days beyond that. "Luckily" I ripped a callus and only did 75 pull-ups, minimizing the problems there. Hope you recover fully and quickly!
Oh I ripped a callus at about 70 in or so, but didn't feel any pain from it so just finished. Didn't start hurting till I put my hands down for pushups...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Philip Stablein

Profile:

I guess I actually ripped a "palm" rather than a callus, although a callus did go with it. I was doing my pull-ups on a fat ole jungle gym bar and left a good portion of my hand up there. But this time, I am going to be smart about getting back into the high rep bodyweight stuff and other metconny things!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Sean Manseau

Profile:

zouch! my sympathies, matt. i'm just coming back from time off to do SS, too, and i read your post thinking, "there but for the grace of god..."

best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Stablein View Post
I guess I actually ripped a "palm" rather than a callus, although a callus did go with it. I was doing my pull-ups on a fat ole jungle gym bar and left a good portion of my hand up there. But this time, I am going to be smart about getting back into the high rep bodyweight stuff and other metconny things!
Yup, below the ring finger, on the palm, about a one-inch section just went rrrrrrip right off... plus had another section actually on the ring finger rip off.. Had a few blister up on the right hand too. It's not like they were horrible rips, nothing gymnastics-like, but enough to suck for about a week where I couldn't fully open my hand without it hurting.