CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Hip dislocation comes to bite me in the butt...

Hi guys, here's my long-winded story:

About five or six years ago, I was playing tackle football with my friends at the beach. I think I was 14-15 when this all happened. Well, what ends up happening is one of the guys comes charging at me from the side. He hit me pretty freaking hard and I was pretty small then. Well, I felt a huge pain in my hip region and had an immense amount of troubling getting up. After that, I couldn't walk. I got it put back in by a doctor and have had some flexibility issues since then.

Recently, I thought that these problems were pretty much gone. My squat form is fine and all I've noticed is a little bit of tightness of the hip region, which is normal for me. Well, yesterday comes rolling by and I realize I've never done official deadlifts (since my program hasn't had me start them yet). I tried a few with the bar and that was great. I had warmed up earlier, so I thought I'd be fine. I figured that, since I can stiff leg DL ~250 that I could easily warm up my real DL with 135 pounds. I tossed 2 45's on the bar and went to get into the DL position and realized something... The DL starting position is just below the point that I have hip flexibility and strength. They just don't work, it feels like.

I've watched video after video studying DL form since I want to do it right and don't want to injure myself so I know my form was right. It's just that when my butt goes down to start the lift, my hip flexors don't do anything. I did a couple with terrible form because I had to shift my body's configuration to not use my hips at all. I'm pretty discouraged by that since I've improved my overall strength, including my squat strength. I figured that if I would have trouble with DL's, I'd have trouble with squats. Anyhow... I'm disappointed and am wondering if anybody has any experience with this or with a potential rehab program or hip strength program? Or any other suggestions for that matter? Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Hip dislocation comes to bite me in the butt...

How is the flexibility in your hip?

It would be a VERY good idea to get a video and do various ROM mainly adduction, abduction, extension and flexion of the hip as evaluation. If your hips are fairly frozen we should see some disproportionate ROM when comparing each.

Basically when you injure something usually the musculature clamps down on the area and tightens up to prevent anything else traumatic from occurring. This is generally bad as far as range of motion goes which is why you want to get this back first. Since you didn't it will be a very difficult process to get it unhinged.

If you can start working flexibility for your hip in all ranges of motion. Try to work on your splits.. hamstring, glute, hip flexor, quad flexibility (as well as all the other muscles in there). Foam roll, tennis ball and do self massage to roll out any knots or scar tissue that's in there. You will have to dig around in your glutes a lot probably.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Hip dislocation comes to bite me in the butt...

My flexibility is nowhere near great, but it is fairly ok considering how it has been in the past. Before, I couldn't even get low enough to do a correct squat. From what you're describing, I don't think my hips are frozen, thank God.

I will definitely start working on the flexibility and such because I didn't realize that I still had so far to go with them. Also, what about the foam roll and tennis ball? I don't quite understand what that means, but I'll definitely self massage the stuff after stretching.