CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Adopting what is sensible, what is sensible to me at least, is the way I go about pretty much everything. The rest I leave for others who find it appropriate. What I found that works for me in my fifties for food intake is to eat as little sugar as possible (I do have a sweet tooth), eat little carbs, lots of protein, drink lots of water, and have a toddy when I care to. Maybe after I've built up LBM close to the point it has been back in the distant foggy past of my life I'll try IF, or Warrior, or Paleo, or Zone. Getting back to that level of fitness is what I'm after right now and I've my doubts that doing it while on some kind of calorie restriction or diet program could be of benefit to me.

My apologies, I think what I just did is called hi-jacking.

(Message edited by fmn on August 08, 2006)
Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
David Wilcox

Profile:
Using IF (14-24 hrs) around 6 weeks with little adverse side effects. I usually eat last meal around 6 pm and finish WOD as well as a run and a swim before breaking fast. My energy levels are great for all workouts and I think little of food until I get to the office--sometimes my thoughts seem a little shaky until I've eaten. My weight seems to have stabilized--I worry more about balanced diet and have been supplimenting with Omega 3s as well as a multivitamin daily. Have also experienced more of the "sugar hammer" as it feels like someone is hitting me with one when I do splurge--another great reason to avoid.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
John Vernon

Profile:
Parker, I had the same experience until I added my small evening snack/meal. Maybe it will help you to.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I have found that IF has been good to me. I WOD before I break the fast. It is weird. I will be going along and slump and then I seem to take off again. Could be in my head, could be otherwise. I generally go 15 hours and sometimes I get caught up in other stuff and go 18-19 hours. I noticed that I was more stable (not as grouchy). I also had a cup of coffee before the WOD.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #15
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Been doing IF for about a month with fasts lasting 15-18 hours and am enjoying it. I stop eating at around 7-8pm, do WODs first thing in the morning at about 7.30am and break fast at about 12.30pm. Haven't noticed any adverse side effects. I think my performance has been better on an empty stomach in a fasted state. Food floating around in the stomach just makes me lethargic and sleepy.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #16
Heather L. Gibbons

Profile:
No problems with IF but I think eating zone/paleo with x-fat helps me a lot because I get really good, dense meals without random sugar spikes. I try to eat more veggies than fruit though it's tough with IF because your meals are closer together and it's a lot of food to fit in a little belly. My performance has greatly improved as well as my body composition. In fact, the only downfall was trying to date without sounding incredibly high-maintenance. Luckily I found a nice paleo/zone IF man to cook with.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
Greg Davis

Profile:
What about actual bodyfat % improvements? I have to say I hear a lot of talk about IF/paleo on the board but people dont mention too often the actual results seen in terms of body composition.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #18
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Greg,
I do not know the actual drop in my bodyfat percentage, but I can tell you I feel alot more lighter, leaner and muscular looking since incorporating IF/EF concepts into my diet. I can see now ab muscles that I never saw before and everyday a different vein seems to surface from my skin. Not to mention, my energy levels have literally skyrocketed and I'm getting these great nights of deep REM sleep.
I think you'd be crazy not to give it a shot and see for yourself. Besides, what do you have to lose?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #19
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I feel good on an IF.

I think there's somewhat of a performance boost while training on an empty stomach.

I have lost some fat, but nothing magical so far above and beyond what a normal calorie restricted diet would do.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #20
Ragnar Speicher

Profile:
I did IF for the first time about 5 years ago. I always fasted on Sundays. That is: last meal on Saturday night around 6/7 pm and my first meal on monday morning. I kept that up for some months, dropped it again. Picked it up again, dropped it and so on.

The last time I started doing IF again was about 6 months ago and two months ago. Then I started doing CF. It was exciting to see that so many here are experimenting with it. yeeha!

Now, due to all the new information Ive changed my approach quite a bit. I fast about 3 times per week and I do it irregularily. E.g. I have breakfast, stop eating for the rest of the day and have breakfast next morning. Or I skip meals, or I have my dinner very early etc.

Do I have negative sideffects? At the beginning I used to have the runs big time after breaking the fast. I mean this kind of full blown... you get the picture. ;) But this seems to be improving lately.

Sometimes I dont eat after training and then it gets a bit harder to focus and speaking seems a bit of a hassle - not that anyone would notice - but I feel that it needs somehow more effort.

All in all IF feels good to me. Its like an internal training that forces your body to work and digest more efficiently (-> my subjective perception).