CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Jesse R james

Profile:
Olympic National Park area?

Thinking of moving (again, just moved from California to Missouri) to the Olympic National Park area of Washington, any one have experience living in the area?

Fell in love with the Seattle/Tacoma area a year or so back when I was traveling for an IT job, but family located in Missouri influenced that move over Washington.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Ben Chapman

Profile:
Re: Olmpyic National Park area?

In Olympic, or just in the puget sound area? Seattle is a great city, if you need alot of the big city things like good foreign food, the arts etc.

If you want to live a little closer to outdoor stuff (hiking, cycling etc) Somewhere on the Peninsula is probably better (Silverdale, Bremerton, etc. If you really want to live in the boonies, near the good parts of the national park, Port Angeles is a good place. It just depents what you're looking for. I live in Tacoma, which has in recent years become a really great city. It used to be pretty ghetto, and still is in some parts, but downtown has really been revamped. I consider it sort of "Little Seattle". If you'd rather be closer to Ranier, Enumclaw is a small town near there. Where I live I'm only about 1.5 hours from some pretty good skiing and it doesnt take to long to get to both national parks (olympic, Ranier). I Think there is more raw wilderness stuff to do on the Peninsula, but that's just me.

If you want to sit in traffic everyday for a long time, move to Puyallup.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Seattle is closer to places like Mount Baker and the Snoqualmie range, so there is plenty of outdoors near there too. If you lived in Seattle, the easiest way to Olympic is via Ferry, and that can be costly depending how often you go. Really, there isn't a bad place to live in Western Washington, Olympia is good, Bellingham is good, it's all good.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Jesse R james

Profile:

I was honestly thinking more over in Port Angeles. I love Seattle, don't get me wrong...but I've just had my fill of city life for the most part. Hoping to get a chance this coming February to fly out and spend a week just meandering around the area as sort of a birthday present to myself. Can't remember the last time I took an actual vacation, if I ever have lol.

Port Angeles would put me a a good distance from any affiliate, but the places I've been looking at for housing all have decent sized "shops/barns" with them that could easily be converted to a garage gym.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Ben Chapman

Profile:
Re: Olympic National Park area?

Port Angeles is a small, but nice town, there will be a lot going on there in the summertime for sure. The Park is RIGHT there too and you aren't all that far from the Olympic coast either. If you end up there no doubt you'll make some trips over to Victoria, BC, if you do, check out the folks at Crossfit Taranis, they got a good thing going on over there and they are cool to train with. Probably the best wall mural of any affiliate I've seen too.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Ben Chapman

Profile:

BTW, how awesome is it that your name is Jesse James? Good thinkin' mom and dad. Badass
Old 11-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Jesse R james

Profile:

Yeah the name definitely made growing up in rural Missouri and my time in the Marine Corps a whole lot more interesting.

Currently working in the IT field for the past few years, but going to jump ship with the move. Can't stand being stuck behind a desk and four walls all day.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Dave Bond

Profile:

Washington is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and it has a huge variety of climates. Where you'd want to live depends a lot on where you can find work and how you like to play. There are some nice communities in Central/Eastern Washington (Ellensburg & Wenatchee come to mind) that have drier climates and are still within short drives of ski areas. The peninsula is nice, but definitely rainy. Seattle is metropolitan, but you can drive to the outdoors. Vancouver/PDX is a great area. Personally, I would give top recommendation to Bellingham. It is a small city or a big town, however you want to think of it (plenty to do but not overly crowded). It is on the water, there are plenty of lakes and parks nearby, good mountain biking, climbing, hiking, and great skiing/snowboarding at Mt. Baker. There is a CrossFit affiliate in Bellingham and one in nearby Mount Vernon (Mt. Baker CrossFit). There are plenty of organized sports opportunities (soccer, rugby, softball, etc.). It is a college town (Western WA U and Whatcom Community College) and there are lots of young people doing fun things. Oh, and there is some decent beer to be consumed, too.

I hope you find a good job and the right place to live! If you have some money saved for a down payment, there are some good deals to be found in the housing market right now in Washington.

Dave
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Jesse R james

Profile:

Currently working a decent IT job for the Corps, and making well over what I need to survive out here in Missouri so I'm really packing away the extra money for said downpayment.

My projected date of the move is next August, but I booked a trip out there in February (just booked it in fact) to get a better feel for the area.

Dave-

I think I'm more looking for the more NW side of the state, even the opposite side of the state park. May comprimise and go for Port Angeles just due to the ease of heading into Seattle if I ever needed to.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

My wife grew up in Port Angeles, and I was stationed in Oak Harbor for several years, also I have lived in Bellingham. All of that area is an awesome place to live. If you are heading to Port Angeles in feb. that is a helluva coincidence, I am planning our annual trip back home in Feb! Hit me up if you want more info on Port Angeles, or if you are looking for a workout partner during your trip.