CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Lamarr N Smith

Profile:
Pre-sof program

Has any affiliates implemented the pre-sof program for any of their members who will be entering the special forces or just heading off to boot camp. I am starting the program for 2 of my members. I am looking to add this program to my packages of programs.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Jack Westman

Profile:
Re: Pre-sof program

Lamarr - I've helped a few folks get ready for Army SF selection and the Q-Course, so here's a couple ideas for you.

If they are headed to Army SF, some slight changes would help the program outlined in the CFJ.
Mainly, cut a lot of the swimming and add a LOT of time under a ruck sack.

They will still need to swim well, but not to the extent of the SEALs.

Vary the weight/distance/speed of the time spent rucking, but they will need to put in a lot of time doing it.
Minimum I would go with is 2x/week. One shorter/faster/light load(45-60# gear, 4-6 miles), One medium distance/medium load(65-75#, 10-12 Miles).

Also, just to get an idea of how much it will suck, one good 3-4 mile ruck under a mission load(110-130#). No need to do this often, but one time for psychological prep will help them get their minds right.

Try to get them to ruck in various types of terrain also, not just strolls down the road. Bragg has a lot of sugar sand that will tear up your calves if your not used to walking in it.

Also, work in some grip exercises. Especially Farmer's walks. They'll need it.

If you have someone who can teach it, Military style Land Navigation training will help them also.
Depending on which MOS they are going for, some outside classes may help them. for example: If they are trying for 18D(Medic) then definitely do an Anatomy and Physiology course.

Last edited by Jack Westman; 06-05-2008 at 12:32 AM..
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Lamarr N Smith

Profile:
Re: Pre-sof program

I had my first session with my client. It went as I anticipated. He is very strong so his weakness is running and cardio. WE had to scale the run and he didn't hit the target time for the workout. But the most important thing is he did not quit and he gave it all he had.