CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Tim Taylor

Profile:
Hiking Utah in June/July 2009

My future wife and I are heading out to Utah in late June/early July for our honeymoon. I have a few questions/concerns and was wondering if anyone on here would be kind enough to offer their two cents. We have some gear questions, we'll be backpacking the entire time throughout Arches NP and Canyonlands NP and we're not 100% sure how to pack. Does anyone have suggestions on what to bring as far as boots, pants/shorts for this time of year. We're planning on doing some backcountry hikes so we're trying to keep a minimalist mentality. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: Hiking Utah in June/July 2009

Sweet! I'm going to be attacking the Cascades all summer in case this is my last one in the area, and have been on a gear hunt lately as well. Be sure to check REI.com (WFS) - they have a ton of stuff on clearance right now. Most of what I've bought there lately has been 50%++ discounted. For my girlfriend, we've scored her pack ($50 instead of $170), sleeping bag ($70ish instead of $200), tent for $50 off, and some more odds and ends. I just picked up a set of CF trekking poles for $60 instead of $160, etc.

Not familiar with the area you're talking about so no specific advice, but it sounds fun.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

I would think that Utah would be incredibly hot and dry that time of year... I wouldn't recommend backpacking there without a good deal of knowledge and/or a guide... some experience backpacking would be good too...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:

My family and I hiked Horseshoe Canyon a few summers back. It was in July, the weather was hot and dry, plenty of water is a must.

Here is a link to this trail, wfs:
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/ca...hoe_canyon.htm

It is located about 60 miles from Moab, which is right next door to Arches. This was one of the most amazing hikes I have ever done. The pictographs are incredible, the Great Gallery at the end has to be seen.

The trail is very remote, we did not see another person the entire day. The hike is about 10 miles, all tolled. It's not a demanding hike, you follow a trail down into the canyon, follow the trail bed for about 4 miles to the end. Check with the park rangers for rain, the bed will flood and by the evidence of the damage to the foliage down there, I would not want to be there during rain.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:

Watch out for flash floods, even if it ain't raining.