CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Elsewhere there is a thread on Parkour, something that I'm really excited about doing, but right now I couldn't Parkour a gnat's .
Just when I was getting over a two week tripping/falling injury done while doing box jumps and scraping the snot out of my shin (yes, I'm a complete clutz at times), I've now screwed up a shoulder.

How I did that is worth relating I suppose. Being all in a hurry to get fit again I ordered some Jump Stretch Bands and was using them to do assisted deep dips for the purpose of getting better equipped for MUs. Well, I dipped too deep and too fast. I felt an extremely sharp and deep pain in the trap area of my right shoulder. NBD, its not the first time I've done something like that.

That was about two weeks ago and I'd been taking it easy on the shoulder, until today. I tried dips again and now my flippin' shoulder hurts like fire when I try to do simple things like combing my hair, or turning the steering wheel for example. I just left work, came home, and chunked a Loritab so soon I won't feel anything!

What the happened?
Old 08-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'm not qualified like Jerimiah but here goes a guess.

Since it was in your trap and has occurred before, I'm going to guess a pinched nerve.

I would go see your orthopedist. Your body is telling you to go see a doctor. Anything that is sharp pain and recurring is a clear message to get it treated.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Unless I am understanding the symptoms different than elliot, it doesn't really sound like a pinched nerve. It does sound like a muscle strain, possibly a tear. Your muscle is then responding by spasming. I would certainly encourage an examination, but even if it was strain or tear, it could take 4 weeks or longer to heal with a gradual return to activity.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I think it is a strain. I'm gonna give it 4 weeks before hitting it again and see what happens. There's a lot of lower body that I can do that doesn't involve shoulders.