CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Brian Todd Hassler

Profile:
just curious if anybody had this happen to them before. On the rest day on friday i decide to run 3 miles for the first time in a long time. The run was on a cement track and now my right foot which was the outside foot for the entire 12 laps is killing me on the outside above the 5th metatarsal. have been walking with a limp and could not do the 10k yesterday and am wondering if anybody has any ideas.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I have a similar issue, but the pain is on the outside of my heel, just near the instep (well, outisde edge) of my foot.

I was thinking Plantar Faciaitus (sp?), but I've had that before and my foot hurt down the middle of the instep, just ahead of the heel.

Sucks, doesn't it, Brad?

I ended up biking the 10k
Old 01-25-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Brian,

the tendons of the peroneus longus and brevis insert on the 5th metatarsal (see http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas2...eusbrevis.html and http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas2...euslongus.html). Those muscles are responsible for eversion and pronation of the foot (moving the foot outward and turning it so the inner part of the arch faces the floor). If you run left turns, these muscles have to resist the inversion and supination (moving the foot inward and turning it so that the outer edge of the foot faces the floor) that the foot goes through as a result of running the turn (see http://www.pt.ntu.edu.tw/hmchai/Kine...lower/Foot.htm for an introduction to terminology).

So, my guess would be those guys are pretty cramped, and the insertion point of their tendon hurts. Gues what I recommend ... massage your peroneus muscles. Use a tennis ball or PVC pipe on the floor, lying on your side, and pressing the leg into the ball or PVC pipe.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 01-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
Brian Todd Hassler

Profile:
thx for the info christian i appreciate it i can't wait til it feels better so i can hit that 10k