CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
Erik Blas

Profile:
I've been working on Cf for about a year now, and I've made alot of gains performance wise. My problem is that I'm still depressingly chunky.

I'm 5'10" at 275lb's and 30.9% body fat (tested with that grip device). I've been doing the CF as Rx when I can and only subbing if there's no otherway, and at 5 days a week with weekends off. My diet is basically paleo + warrior diet.

Is there anything else I can do to burn through this flab even more, but in a healthy and maintanable way? I'm not taking any supplements or stimulants, mainly because I don't know of any that I think would actually work.

I don't do sports mainly because I don't know anyone that does and I work a 3rd shift job + weekends, so its hard to get into a park when there are actual people there.

Should I be adding more (gasp!) cardio later on after/before my work outs? I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Mark Beck

Profile:
I'd say give the zone a month. Strict. No cheating. And watch your chunkiness begin to evaporate. Crossfit Journal 21 is your friend.

Forget the extra cardio. Get those measuring cups out.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Erik,

I'm a newbie, 6 months in.

When I started I was 105kg, 4 months in I was still 105kg.

Then I spent 2 weeks in the zone. I measured everything to get a good idea of what quantity of each food made up 1 block.

Now I do it by the mark 1 eyeball and have stayed in the zone.

I am now 99kg after a month. I feel great and am not hungry.

CFJ 21 is all you need. I bought the zone book, but the journal is all you really need.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Erik, Zone...weigh and measure, forget the warrior diet or IF for now. Let's get the system at a baseline first. Use vegetables and fruit (prior to 12pm) as your carb sources. Start at 17 blocks. Take supplemental fish oil. Use only low fat protein sources: Fish, Turkey, Chicken, lean cuts of beef, protein powder. Fat should come from nuts, seeds, and good oils: fish and olive. Have a spinach salad with chicken and an olive oil based dressing for lunch every day. CFJ 21 helps a lot.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Only you know whether your quantities are too high and you really are eating well (no alcohol for a while, strict Zone, etc.). If you are eating well and indeed doing a hard CF workout 5x a week, then you might have a metabolic problem like a hypothyroid. Garrett has good information there and you can also see whether your doctor would run some tests (although they can be unreliable).

However, I've seen this before with a hockey playing friend. He plays 6x per week and is still very overweight. When I ask him how that is possible, given that he's burning 800-1000 calories per game, he admits that he loves pizza.

One tip: find out the calorie content of everything "bad" you eat. Then find out the equivalent exercise time on something like a stairmaster. When you realize that even an apple equals like 5 minutes on a stairmaster and that a brownie is something like 30 minutes (these are guesses but you can do the math), you will probably reduce your cheating.

Another tip is that you need to focus on reducing body fat, not weight. Lean body is actually responsible for burning more of your calories than exercise.

Use www.fitday.com to measure your input and output. You'll be surprised at how many calories you can ingest if you're eating the wrong things (or even too much of the right things - a plain cheeseburger can be 400-500 calories even without a bun).
Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I did the warrior diet for a month and had horrible results. It might work for some people but I think it doesn't take into account how people's bodies manage insulin differently.

For me.. more 5-6 meals a day is much better than 1 large meal.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
It's all Nutrition...Nutrition...Nutrition. Make sure you are getting enough calories to keep your metabolism running (over 1800/day) but also do not get too many in a day. Watch sugar, if insulin is up you can not burn fat. Count everything you put in your mouth as food...no such things as something that doesnt count except water. Weight loss is 90% what you eat, 50% exercise and 115% consistency.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
David Luu

Profile:
i had the same problem, man. i did CF for 5 months. no really weight loss, i just got much more fit. i tried the warrior diet for about 3 weeks and had terrible headaches with no really weight loss. then i tried the zone. i've lost 10lbs in 1 month and i feel great. i'm not even very hungry.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
Russ Greene

Profile:

For the people saying that they got fitter without weight loss, how much fitter? I find it hard to imagine anyone who is overweight in the slightest managing a 25 round Cindy, 9 minute Helen, or 5 minute Fran.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #10
Motion Macivor

Profile:
If you can start bicycle comuting to work. it would help. Try to minimize the time you spend in cars. Maximise the time you spend moving under your own steam. Yout dont have to go hard (in fact its better if you don't) if your already doing the wod, but every litle bit helps.

PS the zone rocks