CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Danielle Hayes

Profile:
I'm A Newb Help!!

Hello everyone! Yes, I too am a newb to CrossFit and am going to start of my thread by saying that this forum is one of the most helpful resources I have ever read. I have been lurking in this forum for quite some time now trying to brush up on my research of CrossFit, what nutrition goes harmoniously with it, and how I can make a successful transition into this Elite Fitness.

As I do have a LOT of questions, I should tell you about my self and what my goals are. I am 21 years old, 5'6, about 135 and 22% body fat. I work in the USAF and have fallen off the band wagon for a little bit longer than I would have liked. I'd say about 60 days of no working out. I know, I know the military is supposed to make you work out right? YES, but where I work specifically gives me freedom (MOST OF THE TIME) to go if I choose. I usually go no matter what to squadron PT but these past 2 months I have had so many work interferences, leave, Honor Guard, etc that I just haven't been able to get my butt to PT. Thusly making me pretty darn out of shape.

My background of fitness and sports, well I played competitive soccer my whole life, rugby, lacrosse, and track. Ever since I was 16 I really hated looking like a string bean so I became obsessive on how to gain muscle. I went through many trial and error years thereafter trying to find that "perfect way" of getting muscle put on me. I really crave being insanely strong, now thanks to CrossFit insanely fit, and insanely healthy. I never knew of a sport like CrossFit until I stopped training for a figure competition this past September ( couldn't afford the coaches anymore. ) CrossFit seemed to epitomize the way of life I always struggled to find.

Anyway during my training for my figure competition I began to put on a little muscle, I ate very clean, limitied my cheat meals to once per week. Somehow I just wasn't happy. I felt like there was something more, something better, healthier. Thank Zeus there is. But when I found it, I was in the middle of all that rubbish called life, and got so far off the band wagon, that I look like thin again, and am 'skinny-fat' , and understrong. I suppose being 135 means I still have some of the muscle but added some fat.

So my goals, well short term, I suppose I'd like to figure out if the way I am eating currently is going to allow me to add lean muscle while maintain low fat. Thats my first goal in this thread.

I eat Paleo Zone. 4oz lean protein, 4 blocks of paleo carb, and 4 blocks of paleo fat per meal. I want to know if this is something that I should stop or change in accordance with my goal. I feel restricted sometimes and pretty hungry in the evening.

I just want strength, and muscle. Lots of it. One could say I have a high metabolism, so I know I have to eat a lot to gain muscle. So again the question, should I stay with Paleo Zone, go Primal, or just experiment?. I heard whole grassfed milk is a superb way of adding muscle as well as greek yogurt which I was doing during my figure competition training.

I appreciate any and all advice.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: I'm A Newb Help!!

Unless you're an OCD type who enjoys weighing and measuring, there's no need to do Zone. And Zone is likely to be less food than you need to train and recover, much less add muscle mass. Just focus on eating quality unprocessed food, getting plenty of protein and good fats and fruits and vegetables, and dense carbs like sweet potatoes if you need them.

Since you mentioned wanting to get stronger, what kind of training are you doing? Plain CF.com isn't likely to be the best way to get you strong in a hurry. What are some of your current strength numbers of stuff like squat, press, deadlift, clean, pullups, etc.?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Danielle Hayes

Profile:

Yeah that's what I was kind of getting the vibe of too. I think eating zone is the only reason why I'm hungry since I eat mostly Paleo. Thanks for the advice!

I work out at Hangar turned into a CrossFit gym on Elmendorf AFB called Arctic CrossFit. It's super legit and there are about 3 Level 1 instructors. They are about to have it become an affiliate for the Open, which is excellent as that is my goal for next year.

As far as my strength numbers go, I have only done one WOD this past Tuesday at Arctic CrossFit. Our instructor held a beginners class for all the newbs (about 6 of us) and we did the Sydney AMRP of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 air squats. She scaled it down to 10 minutes for us since it was our first workout. I got 4 rounds and 4 pullups in. I didn't have the best rounds in the group but definitely not the worst either, I guess I did about average? After we did some skills work and did some handstands against the wall and the aim was to build it up to 2 minutes all together. I didn't have any problems swinging my legs up on the wall as I have a gymnastics background. But I AM SORE!!!!! It was an excellent workout showing me about CrossFit in a scaled workout.

They hold class Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. All of which I can make. Should I stick with the WODs three days a week for the next month, then add additional strength days twice a week on top of the WODs?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Hayes View Post
...They hold class Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. All of which I can make. Should I stick with the WODs three days a week for the next month, then add additional strength days twice a week on top of the WODs?
Looks like you have a good, positive place to workout, so you are set there. If I were you, and my goal was to get strong - I am assuming right away - I would not wait for the next month to start adding strength work in.

A place to look for a good strength plan is Crossfitfootball.com (not always WFS), using the ameture program. Talk to who ever will be your coach, or consult with your WoD source, to see if you can make them work with the strength work.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Justin Ludwig

Profile:

I've found coupling "Wendler 5/3/1" four days a week with CF 3 on 1 off works best for me to increase my overall strength and conditioning. Example: Monday - Wendler Chest and a WOD, Tuesday - Wendler Squats and WOD, Wednesday - MetCon, Thursday off, Friday OH Press and WOD, Saturday Deadlift and WOD, Monday Metcon.

I'm in the Army and deployed, so I have an idea of getting consumed with the ever changing schedules (here at least). I don't have the same goals as you, so my programming may not work for you. I just want to be fit and strong, not compete. I eat 85% Paleo (apple pie at lunch today was AWESOME!)

Wendler's Book - http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=2976 WFS - It's a steep price and you could just as easily figure out the programming of Wendler by purchasing a WODBook from http://www.wodbook.com WFS
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Danielle Hayes

Profile:

Thanks Milton and Justin! I will give both a go and see how I turn out in the next few weeks. And yes the aim is to get as strong as soon as possible. But I don't want to overload myself, I've done that many times in the past trying to get strong and muscular and have overtrained myself becoming very discouraged after being burned out. But I will begin to add them in ASAP.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yep any strength bias program would be a good idea.

If you still want to do CF in some fashion, CFFB is a good idea since it programs the WOD's instead of doing 531 and having to figure those out (as you would with 70sBig, GSLP, etc)

You could also look for some affiliates programming that work strength before metcon.