CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Ashley Wright

Profile:
Newb

Hello everyone! Ive been lurking around your forums for a few weeks now reading up and getting some hints and figured it was probably time to register

Some Basics -

My church (believe it or not) does free crossfit class twice a week and I've been attending for about a month now. I love it!! I'm currently trying to drop about 40 lbs so I can join the Air Force. I'm down about 10 now thanks to CrossFit. I've seen alot of talk about Paleo on the boards and it's something that I've been trying to do as well as the workouts. I'm about 85% Paleo since I do have the post crossfit whey shake and while I don't have bread and dairy i'm not completely scanning labels for these ingredients either. I'm 5' 9" and 210 right now. I was an endurance swimmer in high school and have been inactive since then (6 years ) So trying to get back into the athletic routine has been a bit of a struggle for me. I'll be 24 in October and the cutoff for enlistment is 25 so I'd like to be in no later than this coming Spring! Wish me luck!!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Newb

I would check that enlistment cutoff. I was trying to enlist at 28. I was kept out for other issues (medical), but age was never a problem.

Looks like airforce is 27 but is waiverable (which thinking back is what I did, but I had a degree they wanted)

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki; 09-03-2009 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: It's been a while since I tried that
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Ashley Wright

Profile:

Yeah they can extend the age if you go in as an officer they take up to 35 but I only have a 2 year degree and Officers are required to have a 4 year. Besides I really hate my job (Insurance blech) and so I'd like to get in ASAP =)
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'm at MCRD San Diego, and I see a handful of recruits in the 26-28 year old range every training cycle. If your recruiter is telling you he can't get you a waiver past 25, he's not trying very hard.

I'm sure your local Marine recruiter would be more than happy to assist you.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Thomas Brick

Profile:

Just a thought on recruiting... A lot of the services are experiencing a serious case of "Bad Economy=Tons of Recruits" in conjunction with a terribly effective retention/bonus program. Many units are WAY over-strength. Empty recruiter slots are not being filled and recruiter missions are being reduced.

I can't speak for all of the services but this is what I've experienced in the Army National Guard in two differnt states. (I just moved).

To the OP, best of luck and for the record, the 25 y/o enlistment cutoff does sound a little silly. Good luck... keep up the effort.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Welcome! I'm new here too and I have also been inactive for about the same amount of time. I stopped playing soccer around then and parked my caboose on a nice, comfy couch for a little bit but now I'm back to activity. Good luck with the Air Force. I have a friend who joined some time ago but I haven't had much contact with her since . Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck !
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Ashley Wright

Profile:

Update: So I've been doing very well trying to get my eating habits under control. Dairy is out minus the occasional cheese garnish and Wheat is out minus the occasional ingredient that sneaks in on me =P

I did a bit of cheating this past holiday weekend but mainly stuck to the diet the best I could considering there isn't a supermarket around and the closest one was very expensive. ( I was camping) Let me tell you.... did I ever feel the effects of all the crap I ate that last day. It's amazing how fast your body responds to such a clean healthy diet! anyways, vacation over and back on track!! haven't noticed any more weight coming off... perhaps I need to hit the gym more often...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Ashely, if you're going into Paleo full force, but very sure that you're not neglecting eating fat. A lot of "traditional" thinking causes people to think that eating fat will make you fat... but thats simply not true. Not only is it not true, eating fat will help keep you fuller longer. Be sure to eat nuts, nut butters (not peanut butter though, its not a nut), and get some oils into your food. All of this will hopefully help you stay full.