CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:
Re: $3000 annual affiliation fee???

Most likely the market where you'll be the first one to affiliate, you'll be the most succesful.

I have a friend in big European city, who was really stressed when opening an affiliate. First in town, and around 300 members within the first nine months. That's gonna be a hard task to do in an area with several affiliates already available...
Old 01-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Brian Strump

Profile:

My 2c. A bad idea. I pay $2000/yr; and if they raised it to $3k, I'd do that as well.

Do the math. That is 2 people/mon that find you and join to make it up. And that's if they only join and stay for 30 days!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Corey Coleman

Profile:

I would agree that as far as business goes, $3000 is nothing. Heck, flooring alone can run well beyond that for a box. And as far as the value of having the CrossFit branding... Reebok was selling the same type of merchandise before they got on board, and I would have to think that at the end of the day, all their number crunchers found added value in the co-branding. And ultimately, if there are droves of people opening new boxes, I would expect the fee to continue rising, just as you would continue to raise membership rates once your gym neared capacity and your programming/results matured. All said, I would ike to pay less too, but as much as we enjoy talking about/with Crossfitters, it just wouldn't be the same without going all in. We see it as a community membership fee more than just a license to operate. (Disclaimer: we are not currently affiliated, but have submitted an application)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

We affiliated earlier, so our fee is lower ($2,000) but we more than make that up in drop-ins alone. We had close to 300 individuals drop in, and some for multiple days/weeks.

We are in Chiang Mai, a tourist city, and welcome drop ins from experienced CrossFitters. We charge a fee (500 B, or about $15) for drop ins, since we have so many (we've had 8 drop in on a class that is usually 10-15 people), it takes attention from our coaches, and there is wear and tear on our equipment. We also sell t-shirts (with a great logo) and people buy multiples of those.

It all depends on where you are, what your goals are, and how you want to position yourself. It isn't worth it for everyone, but is working for us.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

The $3,000 affiliate fee is a steal.

The market outside the US for affiliate gyms is amazing. If you plan to bring CrossFit to a new country or city you should not be worrying about the affiliate fee.

What you should be worrying about is being official, the first to get your doors open and doing a great job for your members.

The speed of growth in Eastern Europe, Central & South America in any well run and coached gym is off the charts.

I have too many ties to go but if I was younger and not tied down, especially if bilingual, I would head outside the US in heart beat to start a gym.

First mover advantage is huge, loosing it is what you should worry about.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Paul R. Gunawan

Profile:

I agree being the first affiliate in other country has its advantages. I could have been the first in Indonesia like 5 years ago but my wife against it. Now that I'm single I want to pursue my dream to have a box. At this time there are 4 boxes in Indonesia, maybe more. I think 3 of them are open by American.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

You do realize all of your reasons for not affiliating based on your location being outside of the U.S. are still going to be there even if you don't affiliate? So basically none of your reasons work. The only reason would be you don't want to add the 3K expense.

Personally I would think being affiliated would be stronger outside of the U.S. It is getting to the point where there at a ton of Crossfits in certain areas, that it may be a distinguishing feature to not be one now here in the U.S. (I don't believe this but that point could be made). Where if you are 1 of 6 in Indonesia then you would be one of the rare Crossfits, basically the only location for anyone that wants workout at a Crossfit affiliate.

I could care less which option you choose and you can be successful as an affiliate or as a non-affiliate. I have been involved in the community for 8+ years now and when I opened my gym it was never even a question, but I also realize a ton has changed over those 8 years.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Paul R. Gunawan

Profile:

Tommy location does make a difference especially outside the US. Not to mention it is hard to get equipment imported to Indonesia. Corruption are everywhere, especially the one that works at the customs at the port. They will make it hard to get whatever you buy from outside the US to get in Indonesia. You have to bribe them and if out lucky they will let your equipment out. By the time I get the equipment out, if I'm lucky, the price the I paid for the equipment will be double or more.
Like I said if I want to open one in the US, I would open it in heartbeat.

I'm still brainstorming here try to weight in to take the long shot to open one in my home country. I'm still gathering more info from fellow box owner in Indonesia but so far I haven't get any info because they don't respond back. I have no clue why? It would be nice if they can share some info with me but so far no luck.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Gunawan View Post
Tommy location does make a difference especially outside the US. Not to mention it is hard to get equipment imported to Indonesia. Corruption are everywhere, especially the one that works at the customs at the port. They will make it hard to get whatever you buy from outside the US to get in Indonesia. You have to bribe them and if out lucky they will let your equipment out. By the time I get the equipment out, if I'm lucky, the price the I paid for the equipment will be double or more.
Like I said if I want to open one in the US, I would open it in heartbeat.

I'm still brainstorming here try to weight in to take the long shot to open one in my home country. I'm still gathering more info from fellow box owner in Indonesia but so far I haven't get any info because they don't respond back. I have no clue why? It would be nice if they can share some info with me but so far no luck.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I understand opening up outside the US offers different obstacles than opening up inside the US. All I am saying is the issues you are referring to should not have a direct effect on your decision to affiliate or not because regardless of whether you do, you will still have those same issues.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #20
Paul R. Gunawan

Profile:

LOL I just realized that. My bad. That's what happen when you read this post after work 12 hours night shift.