CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Barry Donovan

Profile:
The Start

hi all,

im wanting to start in crossfit but confused actually, the main site has loads of pages so hopefully someone will have some direct answers.

i read about crossfit in muscle and fitness mag and been hooked on trying this since.

now i cannot get to a gym 5 times a week every week, some weeks i'll get 5 sessions sometimes i'll get 3 sessions, does this matter as i cannot follow the WOD if i cannot get to the gym.

also does anyone just do a basic 4 WOD and switch each time they train, as my gym is stocked full of free weights and the norm but no kettle balls or rings hanging down so will have to adjust.

when you see the WOD and it says 20 pull ups does it hae to be in 1 go or can you do 10 rest a min do 4 rest again and so on, as i can prob get 12 pull ups out but no more!

im hoping to lose about a stone in weight and add muscle to my frame, is this the workout for me?

cheers for reading

Barry
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Dave Parmly

Profile:
Re: The Start

Barry, I'm a noob here too but my advice would be this.

Read the "Foundations" document by Greg Glassman. In US Army Ranger school, we learned there were 4 key PRINCIPLES combat leaders never violated. Everything else done on an op was a TECHNIQUE, driven by the unique circumstances where the mission took place. I would say that Greg lays out the PRINCIPLES of CF. The exercises, WODs, etc., are the TECHNIQUES. I think Greg would say that if the equipment is not there, use what you have in a TECHNIQUE that is consistent with the PRINCIPLES of CF.

The purists here will say do the WOD as rx'd. And I try as much as I can with what I have. If the WOD calls for swimming, guess what? I'll make up something to sub for that that day. The runs are usually in standard Olympic track measurements. My work site is at the top of a tough hill, so my run times will be off because I'm chugging up and down that hill.

I'm in a similar situation as you. The CF facility certified near here is too far for me to make it work. The "fitness center" my family belongs to is a typical globo gym, and the mini-fitness center at work is similar. I did manage to get KBs into our work gym but that one but only up to a 35# size. I have to make CF work within those realities.

No worries, mate. Scale it, sub it or do it as rx'd...just adhere to the PRINCIPLES.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Welcome, Barry!

First off, make sure you read the FAQ and the Start Here section. Both can easily be found on the main page.

Ideally, you do 3:1 as Rx. Reality affects most of us and messes up our schedules. Look at it from the macro level, not the micro level. If you get 10-20 CF workouts in a month, you're doing good. I average 15. Not as good as 21, but way better than nothing.

When it says 'do 20 pullups', if you do 10 and rest a minute, the CrossFit police will not break down your door. Your time will simply be longer. Break it up if you must, but do it as fast as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Donovan View Post
now i cannot get to a gym 5 times a week every week, some weeks i'll get 5 sessions sometimes i'll get 3 sessions, does this matter as i cannot follow the WOD if i cannot get to the gym.

also does anyone just do a basic 4 WOD and switch each time they train, as my gym is stocked full of free weights and the norm but no kettle balls or rings hanging down so will have to adjust.

when you see the WOD and it says 20 pull ups does it hae to be in 1 go or can you do 10 rest a min do 4 rest again and so on, as i can prob get 12 pull ups out but no more!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Barry Donovan

Profile:

were is the "Foundations" document by Greg Glassman
Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Click on the Crossfit journal link, and all the free articles are down the right column of the page.

As far as your original questions though, anything you can do is better than doing nothing, and you'll find that most WOD's will result in you spending less time in the gym than you're used to anyway. Also look up the crossfit warmup, which you should do (or something that will equivalently warm you up, the warmup isn't set in stone) before every workout.

Use the main page WOD's as a starting point, but don't hesitate to modify or substitute, as long as you're getting the variety and intensity of workouts you need. There are a ton of posts on the boards with links to tons of other WOD options. Don't have the equipment to do a WOD? do something else. Can't make it to the gym? Find a WOD that doesn't require any equipment.

Oh, and read the 'start here' and 'FAQ'! And welcome! (I found this stuff through the M&F article as well, been going for almost a month, and seeing improvements like crazy!)