CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #21
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Rotator cuff injury

Strength issues with RC doesn't necessarily mean it's NOT a biceps problem. Long head of the biceps does go all the way up into the shoulder joint.

Well, there's always a decent way to check. If you do some heavy curls you probably will have it flare up if it's biceps. Make sure you keep your shoulder rigid and unmoving. If it is, try some decline curls (which will help isolate long head more to see if it's that). Also, doing something like pec dec in the gym might also help to see if transverse abduction hurts which I suspect it will if it's a pec issue.

Shrug. I mean I don't really want you to be doing the wrong thing. Again, a weak RC doesn't necessarily mean that it's that which is causing you problems...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #22
Allen Yeh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Yeah, I would suggest doing the DC shoulder rehab program that Emily posted. It's more comprehensive and will hit the shoulder from all directions more than just a couple of exercises repetitively.
I quickly looked through the thread. I ditto this suggestion. RC issues are not just a RC issue, it could range from a dysfunctional scapula or the postural kyphosis you have noticed.

For example if an athlete keeps pulling hamstrings and only focuses on rehabbing his hamstrings, he's only going to keep getting hamstring pulls until he addresses other issues in his kinetic chain.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #23
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Try the Speed test: supinate forearm, extend elbow, flex shoulder forward against resistance. Bicipital tendonitis will give pain in the anterior shoulder with this maneuver.

The tendon of the long head of the biceps runs between the tendons of the subscapularis and supraspinatus. So the same processes that cause rotator cuff disease/impingement can cause bicipital tendonitis.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

p.s. man, all that trouble for no shoulder injury.
Steven,

I definitely have a shoulder injury (partial tear of the infraspinatus), and this thread was helpful to me. I wasn't advised to do cuban curls as part of my exercise program. Are they the best for targeting infraspinatus?

PS-- Am I correct in thinking "face pulls" with a band are the same as cuban curls.

PPS--Yes, I have poor posture, thank you for not asking.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Chris Popovski

Profile:

To Stephen: I tried the curls, but it didn't aggrevate it at all. Pullups did though (at the dead hang portion of the movement only).
To Allen: ya though I'm starting to question if it is my RC's I still want to train them.
To Robert: if I'm understanding you correctly that didn't aggrevate the area either (I basically made a fist palm up pushing a wall for resistance, arm straight and tried to push out from my shoulder)

So at this point, I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with my anterior delt but I'm not sure if that's consistent with pullups aggrevating it (didn't think they were involved in the movement).
And there's also my forward rounded shoulders which I think would also make sense, but dips are the main problem by far which seems consistent.

Sigh. I'll have to wait a week before seeing a sports doctor. Hopefully I can find something out before then.
In the meantime is there anything else I can do to correct my posture (I'm trying to squeeze my scapula whenever I think about it)?

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Last edited by Chris Popovski : 02-12-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #26
Allen Yeh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovski View Post
In the meantime is there anything else I can do to correct my posture (I'm trying to squeeze my scapula whenever I think about it)?

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Check how you sit, if you have a desk or office space, I know it's very easy to get into the rounded shoulder hunched neck posture, especially for people that are on the computer a lot for work like myself.

Here is a great article: (Not sure about W/F/S, the article itself is ok but the surrounding site often has figure/fitness model pictures)
http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf...r_23_hours&cr=