CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Jeremy Kauffman

Profile:
Fitness tracking so easy a paleo man could do it

I'm one of the creators of www.withfit.com (w/f/s), a fitness tool that I think many CF'ers would be interested in. I've explained our site below at two different levels of attention span. All links w/f/s.

The Short Version

WithFit is fitness tracking ala DailyBurn or BeyondTheWhiteboard, except incredibly flexible, easy-to-use and free. WithFit makes logging and sharing your fitness (CrossFit or otherwise) unbelievably simple. Check out the CrossFit WoDs or just go to the homepage.

If you're an affiliate owner, trainer, coach or other person that designs fitness programs, check out some scenarios that may apply to you.

The Long Version

Logging Workouts
The bread and butter of any fitness site is how easy it is to log workouts. WithFit makes it stupid easy. Here are some of the things WithFit does:
  • Adjustable logging levels. Want to log Fight Gone Bad? You can log your total score, your score by round, or your score for each exercise. Just adjust the detail slider (example).
  • Quick workout logging. Did you decide to just run a mile or do 100 push ups for time? This can be recorded in seconds with WithFit's log workout page. Of course, if you want to log an existing workout, we make it very easy to find.
  • Scaling workouts. WithFit lets you scale existing workouts and save personal copies of them. So if you can't handle the three bars of death quite yet, you can adjust the weights or even swap out exercises.
  • Intelligent results. WithFit tracks the workouts and programs (e.g. CrossFit) you like, so as you use the site, the things you like float to the top.
Showing your progress
The other primary job of a fitness site is to show you what you've been doing. Here's how we do it:
  • At-a-glance calendar page. WithFit's calendar page lets you easily see what you've been up to lately as well as track your weight and plan workouts for the future. Here's mine. (I've got an injured leg. And I'm weak. No laughing.)
  • Progress graphs. WithFit will plot your improvement in workouts. Here's one of mine.
  • Share your logs. WithFit lets you share your calendar and profile pages with everyone, which makes it easy to make your logs public. Of course, this can be turned off.
Creating Content
WithFit makes it possible for anyone to create anything, including exercises, workouts, and programs (a collection of workouts, ala CrossFit or SS). Any workout or program you create is added to the site to be shared with the community. So as an example, if someone wanted to put Gant Grimes' hybrid program on WithFit, it's simple to do. WithFit supports both WoD style programs and what we call "regimens", or programs that can be started on any date (e.g. Starting Strength).

If you're an affiliate, trainer, coach or other person that designs fitness programs, check out some scenarios that may apply to you.

The Future
WithFit is in beta, which means there may be bugs or other flaws. However, it also means that we've got a lot more features coming - including groups, stats, facebook integration, and search improvements. We also LOVE feedback. Please tell us your feelings regardless of where they lie on the love<--->hate continuum.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:
Re: Fitness tracking so easy a paleo man could do it

Will check this out today, my current recording system/s are not good enough for my liking!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
David Henry

Profile:

awesome program! I can't wait till you implement groups so I can have my workout buddies post their stats and we can all compare. Hurry up! :P
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Wow, this looks beautiful. Will plug around and probably be adding a bunch of Olympic lifting exercises shortly.

One suggestion: do you have a way to specify variations of exercises under an exercise category, a la ExRx? Such as sorting variations of the clean under "Clean" (i.e. being able to choose catching it in the power position, taking it from the hang, from boxes, from below-the-knee hang, etc), or variations of the squat (low-bar back squat, box squat, high-bar back squat, etc).
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

So far looks pretty cool man. Good work!

~blaine
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Jeremy Kauffman

Profile:

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

David, groups should be complete in approximately a month (it's very close to the top of our todo list).

Emily, we have the four primary variations of cleans (hang squat, hang power, full squat, full power), but we don't have the variations of squat. Right now, you can create whatever you can't find. Your idea of grouping together exercise variations is a good one! We've added it to our todo list, though there are a lot of things in front of it right now.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

i love the website and the set up just one thing i dont like. If you want primarely crossfiters to use this than having exercises such as arm curl and wrist curl will not be needed.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

this site looks cool. I just signed up. The only thing that I would like to change is on the calendar portion, for "plan workout", there is no option to plan a custom workout. There is only the option to plan one already in the database.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Jeremy, please check your PM's.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #10
Thijs Moonen

Profile:

Love the idea behind it, but it may be nice to be able to do an excell export or something like that, for offline browsing or printing, ...

Good luck with the project!