CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
Adam Burella

Profile:
My mom asked me to make an exercise program that won't take much time out of her days. She's never really been that active but she is in decent health. She's about 50 by the way.

I think I need to start her off easy and do quick workouts that include both strength and cardio elements. This is what I was thinking:

-Jog on the spot for 100 steps
-15 knee pushups
-30 jumping jacks (regular type)
-15 crunches
-15 jumping jacks (arms/legs moving forwards and backwards)
-15 bodyweight squats
-rest 1 minute

For 3 rounds. The workout is done everyday. Once she gets more fit I'll increase the rounds/reps. Then the next step would be to give her more variety (different days). I know that if I give her something too difficult or complicated she won't last.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 04-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
David Wise

Profile:

Just a quick comment. I'm in a similar situation, and the first thing I noticed was that she couldn't actually perform a full pushup, so I've started her working towards that goal. The problem is finding a balance between a program being dull and formulaic and her need for something regular in order to get into some kind of routine. I could potentially get her to do a (very greatly) scaled-down version of crossfit, but I doubt she'd be up for it. I don't really wanna work out with her, as it can be really embarrassing trying to put up bars with your bloody MOTHER standing there watching.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Adam Burella

Profile:
Hey David, I'm trying to find that balance too. I know that my mom would not be up for the WOD and I definitely don't want to workout with her. I think a program like the above will give her somewhat of a base to work with and get her used to working out regularly. Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Have you looked at the beginner's workout in one of the old crossfit journals? It is three days a week for 12 weeks. Each day of the week is a different exercise and builds to very competent levels over the twelve weeks. I know it is 400 meter runs, and air squats but can't remember the third exercise. What makes it work well is that it is varied like regular crossfit workouts plus it develops skill in three of the basic exercises we use all the time and doesn't need a lot of equipment.

There are also some back articles with workout modifications for older folks (though 50 is pretty young considering many crossfitters are in their mid 40's like me and do fine). Check them out for motivation for her. If you can find the one with Mary's story that is awesome. She is over 80 and came back from major physical limitations using crossfit. I see her workout at the gym and she is simply an awesome woman.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
Zachary Hany

Profile:
If you wanted more on the beginner’s workout, it is in the May 2003 CFJ. I'm about 1/2 way through it right now. It consists of deadlifts, pushpress, air squats and running 400 meters. The running is only twice per week at first, but then gets mixed in with the lifting as the weeks pass. Just start up with everything nice and light and then work up as you go along.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
Kristi Lees

Profile:

Also there is a CFJ about scaling the girls for "grandmas" that has some beginners info too...

It's #26 Oct 2004
Old 04-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
Adam Burella

Profile:
She doesn't have any weights and she definitely won't be buying them on her own, so beginner's workout is out of the question (until I can buy her some). I might check out a few of those old CFJs though. Thanks for the replies!

Cheers,
Adam