CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #51
Ryan Whitenack

Profile:
Re: The Crossfit cop-out?

Aaron, I am one person who will be rowing, and I have several reasons for doing it, and they are just a drop in the bucket of the total number of combinations/permutations the entire community might have. 1. I really want to win a local rowing competition. 2. I ran a record 5k last time the 5k was prescribed and I loved it. 3 I can, and do add in running to the daily WODs when I feel it necessary--I add just enough to enhance my fitness in that domain while also not affecting any others.

I love running, and I understand if you do have an extensive running background (???) that you would be concerned about this. I have thought what you think also, but I also think when I see someone at 6'1" 235 doing prescribed workouts and not adjusting weights to be proportionate to their weight as the prescribed weights are for a 170lb man. There are a million reasons why to do another workout, so give the community the benefit of the doubt. If we were here to go halfass then we probably wouldn't be here period.

Good conversation!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #52
Adam Noble

Profile:

I am rowing today because its raining. I sometimes sub rows for runs because a 10k run takes my body longer to recover from than any other workout. I have a permanent steel screw holding my left ankle together, and knees that have had enough pounding for three lifetimes (thanks to 22 years of snowboarding). I don't look at it as a cop out when I choose to row, regardless of the option. IMHO fitness is never comfortable, but it does not have to be debilitating. For the record I have run a majority of the 5 and 10k over the past two years. My times have consistently dropped (still unremarkable, but hey) despite a dearth of distance work.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #53
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:

CF is a fundamental conditioning Program based around increasing metabolic efficiency through focus mainly on protocols that utilize the anaerobic pathway.
Its (HQ WOD) is posted free of charge with plenty of instructional information to go along with it.

So stop whinging get your conditioning up!

Do the WoDs, do extra(whatever you Choose) and get a Sport!

WOD
Pick your Specialized Distance

Row or Run 5km
or

Cycle 40km

or
MTB
30km
or

Open Water Swim
1.5km

or
Pack Walk (30kg)
8km

or

Kayak
10km

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #54
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Let's not forget that the regulation of exercise intensity is critical to the design of an effective GPP program such as CrossFit.Think in terms of varying levels of intensity and the programming will make more sense.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #55
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Whenever a 5K or a 10K comes up, it seems like CF.com turns into BadLegs.org

A very good chunk of these people would do Murph (2 miles) if it came up, but for some reason 3.1 miles is out of the question. Heavyweights would rather row or lift so they don't have to reconcile with their mass, and others realize that running for 30+ minutes is monotonous and boring (which it is -- but mental blocks need to be eliminated just as physical ones).

And there's no shortage of attempts to justify. Selected bits about aerobic exercise being the antithesis of fitness, about how running shoots knees to hell, etc. If it was so bad, would Coach prescribe it? We're looking for broad, general, inclusive fitness -- being able to do anything physical includes being able to run long distances.

The worst justification is along the lines of "running isn't functional, when are you ever going to run 10 kilometers?" Um, hello? When are you ever going to do Thrusters? When are you ever going to do Double-unders? When are you ever going to do Walking Lunges for a quarter mile? Hardly anyone outside a crew team will find themselves rowing in everyday life, but y'all don't decry rowing as worthless.

For those with very minor problems with your legs that you use as a fake excuse for not running: get out and run. You'll feel better when it's over. For those with serious leg problems: I hope you're not putting them at risk by doing things like squats.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #56
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

All this anti-running stuff seems a little silly and hypocritical to me. Criticism of running because it "hurts," because it's "bad for your knees," because it's "inconvenient" sounds a lot like outsiders' excuses for not doing CrossFit. It's not irrelevant just because you don't want to do it. Who cares? Sack up and build some mental toughness (as important as physical ability in just about any athletic endeavor). Running is one of the most fundamental movements, and it is absolutely functional. Why do it? There's no reason not to, it makes you a better all around athlete. Of course, injuries may prevent you from running, just as they prevent you from squatting or doing pullups. That doesn't make running useless or irrelelvant. Ultimately, if you don't run at all, you won't be able to run well, and although you may not need to run long distances often, you will be miserable when you have to but are unprepared. That's why you should run. That's why it's silly whenever someone says that running doesn't make them fitter. I'm not telling you to give up CrossFit and run all the time, I'm just saying that people who can should run regularly.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #57
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Cattermole View Post
WOD
Pick your Specialized Distance

Row or Run 5km
or

Cycle 40km

or
MTB
30km
or

Open Water Swim
1.5km

or
Pack Walk (30kg)
8km

or

Kayak
10km
and not:
Run Mouth, 6 pages for time

Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #58
Ian Holmes

Profile:

To preface this I need to say that I really don't care how much running the lot of you do. What I do need to point out is the fact that I have had two huge snowstorms in Montreal in the last three weeks... what is more this is Canada... it is cold. I still find myself jogging places just to get there faster. I mean I jogged at least a kilometer a couple nights ago carrying pizzas and in cowboy boots... in the snow and the cold. I mean come on. Too cold to run? Sissies *grin*.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #59
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nisetich View Post
All this anti-running stuff seems a little silly and hypocritical to me. Criticism of running because it "hurts," because it's "bad for your knees," because it's "inconvenient" sounds a lot like outsiders' excuses for not doing CrossFit. It's not irrelevant just because you don't want to do it. Who cares? Sack up and build some mental toughness (as important as physical ability in just about any athletic endeavor). Running is one of the most fundamental movements, and it is absolutely functional. Why do it? There's no reason not to, it makes you a better all around athlete. Of course, injuries may prevent you from running, just as they prevent you from squatting or doing pullups. That doesn't make running useless or irrelelvant. Ultimately, if you don't run at all, you won't be able to run well, and although you may not need to run long distances often, you will be miserable when you have to but are unprepared. That's why you should run. That's why it's silly whenever someone says that running doesn't make them fitter. I'm not telling you to give up CrossFit and run all the time, I'm just saying that people who can should run regularly.
I don't need to run regularly to be healthy and in great shape, so why would I?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #60
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hanewinkel View Post
I don't need to run regularly to be healthy and in great shape, so why would I?
This strikes me as a very anti-Crossfit statement. If you're a true blue CF'er, you can take on whatever task is put forth, including the occasional 10K run. If you can keep up with the squats and presses, the chippers, Girls, Heroes etc. but can only manage a 60 min 10K, then you have a glaring weakness (from an athletic point of view). With all the other stuff we do around here, busting out a 10K run every 3 or 4 weeks should be no big deal.

Funny, but running, benching and curling bring out some weird conversations around here.

Closed Thread