CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Stuart Gaitanis

Profile:
Kip to Support on Bar

I was playing around today and was able to do a kip to support on a bar in the park. I cant do a muscle up yet (either on rings or on bar) but pulled that one off (only once, couldnt repeat it for some reason.)

This is the best link i could find to describe it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7j1TNqlzM

Where does this skill exactly fall in the scheme of things. Not a stength move I imagine but seems like a good use of hips and overall body coordination.

Steven or Roger (I know you uguys will end up answering this one) what tips can you offer to achieve this (would love to be able to do this consistently and correctly)
Old 12-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Kip to Support on Bar

A value skill. Muscle up is non-rated now, actually, so the kip is worth more. It's more technical at least than a muscle up. Other 'strength' A value skills are back lever and front lever on rings as well as straddle planche on pbars or floor.

wfs
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/ubar/A/ubz002
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

A kip is a technical skill. Done correctly it requires very little strength. Though being strong makes it a whole lot easier to learn and perform well. It's primarily about timing and positions. Done correctly it will take you clear to handstand.

BTW the kip in the video initiates early. Better technique requires keeping pressure back on the bar longer at the end of the glide, then working to keep the legs high during the kip to allow shoulders to shift forward followed by an aggressive leg kick.

Last edited by Roger Harrell : 12-21-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Stuart Gaitanis

Profile:

Thanks to both of you. I tried today again and couldn't get it( not even close). lol , I got lucky the first time. Will keep working on it though.

Can you explain what you mean by "the glide". I assume thats the initial portion of the move where you are bringing your legs up towards the top of the bar and then move into the backward motion ?

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Not quite.

wfs (some different variations on pbars):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPesl6xwK0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLI1k...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_98...eature=related

The "glide" is the first part of the kip where you jump, hit the hollow position and 'glide' through with your body in the hollow position. You more or less keep your feet relatively close to the ground. As you start to hit the last part of the glide you're going to extend your body from hollow to more or less straight.. and maybe slightly arched depending on the skill. For all intents and purposes straight is fine. This is where the glide ends.

Next, explosive ab and hip flexor movement to bring the ankles to the bar BEFORE the body starts moving backwards. Basically you do this when you hit that point where you're weightless in the air for that moment where you finish the forward swing and will start to come backwards. From there, the ankles to the bar is ridden backwards until the torso of the body is about ~30-45 degrees on the OTHER side of the bar from vertical. That's when you start to 'kick out' with extension of the hips towards about 45 degree angle towards the ceiling bringing the bar along your legs all the way up to your waist by concurrently pushing down during the kick.

And viola, you're in support position with enough momentum to easily take you to handstand if you did it right.