CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Billy Brummel

Profile:
Quick question for all the more knowledgeable folks out there. I'm trying to create a program for 5 days on, 2 off. This is the first week, so I'm trying to get a feel for the art of this. My question is this: how much should muscle groups play into my considerations when I am trying to craft a 3-exercise-for-20-minutes session. I know that I should be including the Meta, Gymnastic, and Weights factor, but should I be mixing up muscle groups? Or should my only goal be to get as close to puking as possible? So, for the purposes of others' critiques, this week I have done a 2 mile run (not quite ready for the 5 or 10k). The next day I did 3 sets of squat cleans @ 45# x 15 and 30 push-ups (stole that one from the WOD archive). Today I am thinking as many sets of 800m bike (stationary), 10 DB swings @ 45#, and 20 situps as I can in 20 minutes. Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
John Messano

Profile:
Hey Billy,

Welcome! Have you read "What is Crossfit?" It is in there, and in "CF Foundations" that Coach describes his art. Crafting a WOD that is "5 or 6 days per week mixing elements of the major lifts...and the basics of gymnastics..." is rather complicated.

Why not just follow the WOD in the prescribed cycle? If your decision to create your own WODs relate to your current fitness ability, consider scaling it down. If your decision relates to time contraints, consider following the WOD one or two days after it is posted.

Give it a try for a month.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
Billy:

I follow the WODs on a 5 on 2 off schedule. what i do is follow a day behind. when the day call for a rest day and its in my 5 on day, i do one from the days i was off that had WODs in them...does this make sense?
just follow the Rxd WODs, they include the Meta, gymnastic and Streangth aspects..if you need to scale them dow, go to CrossfitBrand X , the Martins do a great job of scaling the WODs, hence les thinking on everyones part! ;-)
Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Billy:

I just recommended this in another thread, but it was such a good idea I'll do it again:

Pick up CrossFit Journal Back Issue #6:

http://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F3108360&rnd=3390554&rrc=N&af fl=&cip=12.161.237.158&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=cfj00 6&cat=cfjbak&catstr=HOME:cfjba k

In that issue, Coach Glassman provided a "theoretical template" for programming your own WODs (note: this is NOT what the daily WOD uses, but it provides a fine introduction to a way of systematically varying the components of a functional exercise system).

If I remember correctly, there were specific suggestions about programming for a 5-on / 2-off split.

John's advice is pretty good, too . . .
Old 02-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Billy,
I vote with John and that is good advice from Raefel. Follow the WOD one day behind. Unless you are very disciplined when you design your own program, you will miss something or worse; design workouts that compliment your strengths.
Jeff

(Message edited by jeff_m on February 08, 2006)
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Billy Brummel

Profile:
Thanks for the input guys!! I think I'll do the lag method and follow the WOD's one day behind. David: saw that issue and it helps a lot. I think my original thinking behind devising my own plan was avoiding my weaknesses. That seems to be a mental obstacle for me.