CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Steve-
The question was foods. Are you saying that providing adequate protein, a balanced hormonal environment, reduced oxidative damage and neurotransmitter co-factors lie DHA/EPA, DMAE, Alpha lipoic acid will NOT be beneficial? Your suggestion of outside cognitively stimulating activity is a good one but again not the question at hand.

Coffee for that matter, to the tune of 3+ cups per day has a linear dose respo0nse curve in reducing.

Nootropics, whether food derived or pharmaceutical are a legimate and powerful tool. Ignorance of that fact does not change that fact.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I completely agree with Robert. How can nutrition and other subtances affect the body and physical performance and not affect the mind and mental performance?

I feel that the better one's overall nutrition is the less effect one will notice from nootropics--that is not to say that someone with good nutrition will not benefit from them however.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
Steve Liberati

Profile:
All I said was that foods are questionable and that there are are better alternatives to stimulate the number of neurotransmitters in the brain.

I do NOT recall saying that foods are NOT beneficial for all the reasons you named; I just think you can cover your bases by a following a healthy, balanced diet.

So yes, to answer his question....Food has been been shown in studies to increase the rate of the brain's metabolism. There is no denying that fact.
I just think its a waste of time to concentrate on any one food(s) to improve your "thinking ability."

Next time I will try harder to be more factual in my posts and less opinionated. I can see how it may confuse people.

Thanks bro,

STEVE
Old 03-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
joseph elberti

Profile:

I started on nootropics with a horrendous diet, and noticed suprisingly powerful effects.

There has been a fair amount of research on the effects of ACh (acetyl-choline) and cognative function. ACh does not cross the blood-brain barrier, and the best food sources (precursors) are lecithin, and egg yolks (the more uncooked, the better). These are poor choices, mainly because you would have to eat large quantities, and secondly, the amount of lecithin - although it has good use in the liver for mobilizing fats, it also becomes a prooxidant at high levels like that. Supplimentation is the way to go- specially if you are useing it with piracetam (which feeds off of ACh- in a way, but boosts its effectiveness).

I noticed a mild stimulant effect right off the bat (within 15-30 minutes of an 'attack dose'). I didnt notice accumulating effects until 3-4 weeks, but in hindsight, it was working.

If you want a site with some knowledgeable people- who know what the hell they are talking about, vist:

http://www.imminst.org/forum/

There is a guy on there: 'lifemirage' VERY knowledgable fellow- ask him questions. Suppliers are discussed as well.

This stuff is *subtle* yet powerful. Dont expect a drug-like effect. It has made a definate improvement on my quality of life. Has helped me with depression (Im dysthymic), increased visual acuity and colors appear sharper, appreciate sound more.... I can go on and on. I reccomend this stuff to anyone interested wholeheartedly. There are a few contraindications: ppl on blood thinners, ppl with low BP..... thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Research for yourself, dont just go on my word.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Rob,

"Coffee for that matter, to the tune of 3+ cups per day has a linear dose respo0nse curve in reducing."

I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you saying coffee has a positve effect or negative? Maybe I should have another cup and figure it out :happy:
Old 03-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #16
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kreiki!!!

Yes..I just re-read that...should say "reducing alzheimers". Alzheimers is tentitively being called type 3 diabetes. It is certainly a by-product of hyperinsulinism. What constitutes hyperinsulinism, or more accurately what diet will cause hyperinsulinism in a given individual is tough to tell. It is also tough to tell how hyperinsulinism will manifest with regards to disease state.

What is certainl is a deviation from our ancestral diet/lifestyle is where the problem begins.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
Tony Young

Profile:
Robb,
More resources about Alzheimers as Type 3 diabetes, please.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:
www.google.com
Old 03-13-2006, 04:48 AM   #19
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
So Rob you didn't answer the coffee question,how many cups of coffee per day?
I NEED to know!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #20
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I thought caffeine raised insulin?