CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Kendell Johnson

Profile:
Kipping Pull-Ups vs. Regular Pull-Ups

I know there is supposed to be a lot of debate on this on this forum, but I haven’t found one yet that truly compares and contrasts the benefits of: kipping pullups versus regular pullups.

I was made to feel “stupid” yesterday at the gym (by a friend..haha) when he caught me doing the kipping version. Now, I think if you know anything about fitness, it’s pretty obvious that kipping is a slight cheat on the regular pullups because you are gaining momentum to perform the exercise. And I also understand that kipping, in CrossFit, is important for speed while the regular pullup is based in strength.

My question is: Do kipping pullups work a different muscle group and in what way? What are the clear benefits of doing kipping pullups versus regular pullups aside from speed? How do they differently affect the “appearance” of your arms, back, etc. or do they affect it differently?

Any information and views you smart people have on this is greatly appreciated!! (To settle this once and for all with my “friend” so he can get off his soap box about kipping pullups being cheating, useless pullups…psh!)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Travis Rieber

Profile:
Re: Kipping Pull-Ups vs. Regular Pull-Ups

You need more practice with the search function.
Advanced search - By title only - Exercises section only - "Kipping"
Enjoy the never ending discussion.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Kipping Pull-Ups vs. Regular Pull-Ups

Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see some of the other threads discussing this. I can see you're new here but this topic has been beaten into the ground multiple times in the past, including in a few recent threads. The short answer is that kipping isn't cheating any more than a push press is cheating--it's just a different movement for different goals. If you want to get stronger, do weighted strict pullups. If you want to use pullups for metcon purposes, do them kipping.

Closed Thread