CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Kevin Cronin

Profile:
Home gym with crossfit competition feeling....

I am in the process of working on a home gym and would like some input. I've read a lot of posts here from others who have built a home gym setup and I am looking to incorporate those ideas as well as my own.

What I am looking to accomplish is fairly simple in my eyes, I would like to have all the needed items to do 99% of the normal WODs. My situation is such that most of these will need to be done outside as I have no space allocated in my home to fit a small gym. I have never attended a crossfit competition but from the pictures I've seen and based on speaking with those who have attended them.... some things I might over look are not over looked there. For example, Ring Dips are done with actual ring dips and not done on parellel bars.

So basically, I am looking to make a structure that I can accomplish the most tasks with as little space required. I'm assuming this will be some sort of a pull up bar with attachment for ring dips and rope climbs as well as a spot to hit for wall balls and hand stand push ups.

I will also need kettlebells, box jumps, sand bags, standard set of dumb bells and bar/weights set up (any suggestions for what brand is the most outdoor friendly as they will need to handle hurricanes (South FL). rower (kept in the garage), tractor tires, sleds for pulling, slosh pipes, GHD machine. and of course.... a white board.

is there anything that I am forgetting and is there any idea of what something like this should cost me. Also, has anyone tried to achieve building such a item. I would love to find a way to include adjustable platforms for box jumps into the death machine.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
S.S.

Profile:

Re: Home gym with crossfit competition feeling....

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/09/...r-home-gym.tpl
http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/09/...ept-02-cfj.tpl
http://journal.crossfit.com/2005/07/...olution-by.tpl

All links wfs
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Rogue(wfs) has some pretty comprehensive, and reasonably priced, CrossFit gear packs to help get you started.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Sam Trask

Profile:

If you can, try to attend a few WODs at your local box as well. I did CF for about 6 months at my globo before attending my first "real" WOD at a box, and the increased intensity was eye opening, to say the very least. By showing up to a few of these, you'll be able to set a benchmark for yourself as far as what intensity to shoot for. I really had no clue what I was capable of until I did this. As a result, when I travel (which is frequent) I'm able to keep up a decent intensity when I'm working out by myself at globo gyms and hotel parking lots.

The Rogue fitness stuff is good... We have some of their stuff (like the rings) at my affiliate and it works quite well. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

So, are you trying to build an outdoor structure where you could do everything? Something like this?
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...utdoor_Gym.jpg (WFS)

The low bar is 8', the high bar is 10'. I've considered putting a board off one of the posts for wallballs, and a rope (like the Rogue one) can easily go on the 10' bar. The platform is a little smaller than I'd like, but when I built it, I was just going to use it for bodyweight stuff, box jumps, etc. I've since bought my own barbell.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

That's a sweet setup, Tamara.

Is that a dog in the bottom left? I can't tell. It seems to not have a head.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
That's a sweet setup, Tamara.

Is that a dog in the bottom left? I can't tell. It seems to not have a head.
Thanks. And, yes, haha. It's a dog. With a head.

My C2, squat stands, and bar are in my basement. But, I only have 7' ceilings, so I can't go overhead or even do box jumps or KB swings down there. That's why I built the platform outside. I mean, it's kind of ridiculous because I do belong to an affiliate...where I spend a lot of time...like 3.5 hours yesterday. I rarely do WODs at home. I row and lift. I suck at pushing myself during WODs. My husband does some WODs at home because he only pays for 3x a week at our affiliate.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen; 07-07-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Kevin Cronin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
So, are you trying to build an outdoor structure where you could do everything? Something like this?
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...utdoor_Gym.jpg (WFS)

The low bar is 8', the high bar is 10'. I've considered putting a board off one of the posts for wallballs, and a rope (like the Rogue one) can easily go on the 10' bar. The platform is a little smaller than I'd like, but when I built it, I was just going to use it for bodyweight stuff, box jumps, etc. I've since bought my own barbell.

Thats a nice setup. I'm jealous. You can always dig out some space in front of the platform for higher jumps. I am thinking of something just like this only made from steel and would like to make the bar adjustable. I need to find a way to make it take up less space as the space is a huge issue. I'm hoping to draw some concepts this weekend and i'll scan and post them and see if I can get some input.

My work printer hates you. hahahaha. i've been printing non stop all morning. thank you for these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Rogue(wfs) has some pretty comprehensive, and reasonably priced, CrossFit gear packs to help get you started.
Is there a good place to look for this equipment at a used priced? I dont mind paying whats listed which is already good but cheaper is always good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Trask View Post
If you can, try to attend a few WODs at your local box as well. I did CF for about 6 months at my globo before attending my first "real" WOD at a box, and the increased intensity was eye opening, to say the very least. By showing up to a few of these, you'll be able to set a benchmark for yourself as far as what intensity to shoot for. I really had no clue what I was capable of until I did this. As a result, when I travel (which is frequent) I'm able to keep up a decent intensity when I'm working out by myself at globo gyms and hotel parking lots.

The Rogue fitness stuff is good... We have some of their stuff (like the rings) at my affiliate and it works quite well. Good luck!
I've spent the last 10 months at an affiliate gym. That was my first experience with crossfit. I loved it. I am trying to bring all of that into my house. I've seen where they have done well and where they can improve and I'm trying to combine all that into a more fluid streamline set up. Obviously doing the WODs there with other members and access to all their equipment is helpful but that doesnt mean I cant do it at home.

lastly. what does WFS mean after all the links?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
S.S.

Profile:

work/family safe
Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #10
Sam Trask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cronin View Post
I've spent the last 10 months at an affiliate gym. That was my first experience with crossfit. I loved it. I am trying to bring all of that into my house. I've seen where they have done well and where they can improve and I'm trying to combine all that into a more fluid streamline set up. Obviously doing the WODs there with other members and access to all their equipment is helpful but that doesnt mean I cant do it at home.
Ah, sorry... I didn't realize you were already going to an affiliate. I'm jealous, I'd love to have the room at my place to do what you're planning.