CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
Lifting an infinite weight

Would attempting to lift a weight that is infinitely heavy, give you any benefits? And if so, what? Obviously you would have zero ROM, but you are taxing the system, so what would it do for you?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:
Re: Lifting an infinite weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodlik View Post
Would attempting to lift a weight that is infinitely heavy, give you any benefits? And if so, what? Obviously you would have zero ROM, but you are taxing the system, so what would it do for you?
It would be a static movement. Just put more than you can lift on the bar and exert force on it. Or is this a philosophical question? Are you an immovable object? Is this a Blob vs. Juggernaut question in disguise (comic book nerds unite!).
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

That's called isometric training. There's a lot of stuff on the internet about it.

Here's a modified form of isometric training from Dan John.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tips_that_work

(sort of wfs)
Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

It can be effective, but only really effects a small ROM, and it can be easy to overreach using that method. It can be good for strengthening sticking points, in particular.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

Quote:
It would be a static movement. Just put more than you can lift on the bar and exert force on it. Or is this a philosophical question? Are you an immovable object? Is this a Blob vs. Juggernaut question in disguise (comic book nerds unite!).
HAHA! Jeff you rock
Old 11-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
A really good way to train statics is to get a pair of rings and just do holds. Planche, hand stands, and the back n front lever. Oh crosses are badass too.

I've loaded 500 lbs on a bar before and tried to deadlift it when my max was about 300; i got it an inch off the ground and pulled an ab muscle. Awesome.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
That's called isometric training. There's a lot of stuff on the internet about it.

Here's a modified form of isometric training from Dan John.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tips_that_work

(sort of wfs)
HA! How dumb of me. I just read a book a few months back on that very thing. Guess I didn't pay too close attention to it. Now i"ll have to go back and read about the benefits of it.
Just something I thought of, as I was reading a book about survival, and the mental state that prisoners take on. What if you were stuck in a cell, and were a crossfitter? How would you carry on with working out?
Yes, a book on surviving made me think of CF!!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Ross Enamait in Infinite Intensity definitely feels there is a use for them. I haven't ever used them and can't imagine a place for them, except as has been mentioned, to break a sticking point.

Emanait had designed a contraption with a stick at each end of a chain or rope, so that he could vary the length of rope, and complete a variety of isometric excercises.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #9
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Just something I thought of, as I was reading a book about survival, and the mental state that prisoners take on. What if you were stuck in a cell, and were a crossfitter? How would you carry on with working out?
Tabata, pushups, situps, squats, pistols, HSPUs, flags and pullups on the cell bars, one-armed pushups, planches, presses to handstands, burpees, lunges, stretches, shadow boxing...

Not to mention that most prisons have a yard with weights where you can go work out (granted you might have to fight for a chance with the weights, but hey, that's what we train for). Or that most CFers are unlikely to spend extended time in prison.

Last edited by Skylar Cook; 11-02-2008 at 03:43 AM..
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Just something I thought of, as I was reading a book about survival, and the mental state that prisoners take on. What if you were stuck in a cell, and were a crossfitter?
The Prison Workout is call that because it got popularized within prisons with limited equipment...

Descending burpee ladder from 20-19-18...3-2-1 with walk to the other end of the cell after each set. No breaking up sets. Guys who could do 20 sets or more are considered fit.