CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I've had sore hip flexors for a while now, following hip surgery. Yesterday, I strained it more playing ice hockey (fall to the ice). I iced it after the game and am icing it today (20 min every couple of hours). I'm also on a prescription dose of Ibuprofen (800mg x 3 per day).

Is there anything else I can do? I've been trying to stretch it but I assume stretching it now when it's sore is not a good idea.

I've tried ART on it in the past but ART seemed to be limited in what it could do for a hip flexor.

Also, should I back off the CF exercises that require hip flexors (squats, in particular)?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Elliot, you are just going to fall apart at the seems if your not careful buddy. I would definately hold off on any HF stretch until the pain is 80-90% diminished. A strain is from overdoing it, so you need to leave it alone as much as possible.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Elliot,

As I fellow ice hockey player I can attest to the tight hip flexors strain. Most hockey player by virtue of what they do will always have tight hip flexors so stretching is a must (wait till they heal a little). Also make sure you stretch the leg adductors (groin) as it's a problem area too. Might want to work on strengthening your lower abdominals as tight hip flexors will usually mean weak LA. Don't forget the hams/gluts/and piriformis. Also get a foam roller, it's perfect for releasing tension.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
PS. Make sure your squats are full (aka butt to ankles). Keeps good ROM for your hams/gluts. Also add in some lunges(front, side to side) they help stretch the hip flexors and add some sport specific movements.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thanks guys.

Jerimiah: I know what you mean. When God was handing out genes, I wasn't too lucky in the orthopedics department.

Sure, I could avoid anything that involves hip flexors, but then I'd have to give up all the sports I like.

What I find is that some body part gets acute for a while and eventually it goes away.